D&D 5E Previous Giant Modules recommendation

txshusker

First Post
I'm thinking of running a giant centric section of our campaign and wanted to convert boxed material. I have both the 1e G1-G3 (along with the Qs, which I'll likely not use) which I've played some but not finished, and the 4e Revenge of the Giants, which I've not finished reading through. Has anyone played one or both and have a preference or recommendation? The 4e would require a little more work to convert the stats while the roleplaying in G1-G3 needs a little more fleshing out, but I could get it done. Any thoughts?

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Revenge is garbage, and I say that as a 4E fan.

If you can, grab the 2E version, Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff, which incorporates G1-3 as part of a much larger giant-centric campaign that can legitimately be started with lower level characters. I think it would fi 5E with its bounded accuracy even better than 2E.

keterys

First Post
If you have DDI, there was a G1-G3 conversion for 4E that has more RPing bits in it.

I'd echo Scrivener's assessment otherwise.

Joe Liker

First Post
I'm late to the thread, I guess, but I'll go ahead and second the sentiments that Revenge is weaksauce, and G1-G3 are some of the best modules ever made.

Wish I still had my 1e copy -- I'd convert that and run it in my current group!

ruleslawyer

I'm late to the thread, I guess, but I'll go ahead and second the sentiments that Revenge is weaksauce, and G1-G3 are some of the best modules ever made.

Wish I still had my 1e copy -- I'd convert that and run it in my current group!
http://www.dndclassics.com/product/17037/G13-Against-the-Giants-1e?it=1&filters=0_0_44700

Available in PDF if you can use that. (Actually prefer the PDF version because then I can copy paste and replace with current edition stats.)

ruleslawyer

Yes. It actually is a conversion of the original adventures, but with some appeals to the spirit rather than the letter of the originals:

G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief Dungeon 197
G1 1/2 Halls of the Stone Giant Thane (?) 198
G2 Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl 199
G3 Halls of the Fire Giant King 200

keterys

First Post
Yeah, the Stone Giant one is an original that they made. You can use it or skip it. Because Stone Giants aren't evil, when I ran it folks treated it as a much less "kill-em-all" mission. Much more sneak and talk and avoid hazards to deal with the actual problem.

Remove ads