• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Price of Plate Armor

JeffJ2112

First Post
Can anyone explain the logic of having 50 gp Plate Armor? I guess they want to have beginning characters to be able to have it, but that price is ridiculous. Why not just have a rule to say you start off with any armor you are proficient in?

JeffJ

nerdronomicon

First Post
JeffJ2112 said:
Can anyone explain the logic of having 50 gp Plate Armor?

i don't know. can you explain the logic of getting rid of studded leather and calling hide "light armor"? i don't like what they did with equipment at all. i have high hopes for the equipment book coming out in september.

lukelightning

First Post
nerdronomicon said:
i don't know. can you explain the logic of getting rid of studded leather and calling hide "light armor"? i don't like what they did with equipment at all. i have high hopes for the equipment book coming out in september.

I dunno, but I'm glad. Studded leather has never been portrayed realistically; it always seems to be black leather armor with little metal buttons 6 or more inches apart....

GoLu

First Post
lukelightning said:
I dunno, but I'm glad. Studded leather has never been portrayed realistically; it always seems to be black leather armor with little metal buttons 6 or more inches apart....

If you squint, those are just rivets holding the metal plates in place. What metal plates? Er... the ones... uh... behind the leather! Yeah! It's all brigandine. It totally makes sense!

D&D armor would never be designed to look cool at the cost of protection or durability, no sir.

Yaezakura

First Post
Plate Armor costs 50gp because the value of a gold piece, and the costs of all items, are based around the idea of being balanced for a game, not being realistic. Heck, do you really think a simple leather backpack would have cost two entire gold coins? But in D&D, it does, regardless that that price is mind-boggling from a realistic POV, and I don't see anyone complaining about that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads