D&D 5E Princes of the Apocalypse as source material

Purchase PotA purely as a game resource?

• No

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 21 45.7%

Just to tell you Princes is very sandboxy.

So I've heard, but I expect it's a different kind of sandbox than my sandbox. I expect it to have 1.) a moderate amount of mid- to high-level NPCs (as opposed to monsters), and 2.) a focus on locations over dynamics. Maybe not to the extent of "in this room there is a Medusa, 24 hours a day", but also probably not a dynamic "if the players take longer than two weeks to investigate this rumor, the were-rats will take over the town" kind of thing either. If I'm wrong about either assumption let me know and I'll give it a second chance.

So I've heard, but I expect it's a different kind of sandbox than my sandbox. I expect it to have 1.) a moderate amount of mid- to high-level NPCs (as opposed to monsters), and 2.) a focus on locations over dynamics. Maybe not to the extent of "in this room there is a Medusa, 24 hours a day", but also probably not a dynamic "if the players take longer than two weeks to investigate this rumor, the were-rats will take over the town" kind of thing either. If I'm wrong about either assumption let me know and I'll give it a second chance.

There are a fair amount of NPC's in the book. Most are villainous though. The adventure does focus on the location quite well. As it all takes place in the same area and the major dungeon of the adventure is interconnected. Stuff will for the most part change in the dungeons due to the PC's actions. For example if this guard outpost has been wiped out then within an hour the trolls from area X take their place, or if Aerisi is the first prophet the PC's encounter she is here, if not then she has a retreated deeper into the temple and a Vrock is guarding the shrine.

It's quite interesting.

Rhenny

Adventurer

I've read it through almost once and preparing to run it for a new campaign. It does give some ideas about what happens if/when the PCs clear out or fail to clear out the above ground haunts for each cult. It presents events for reprisal when one of the cults (or more) learn of the PC's exploits. It also gives overall information about each cult's tactics (and overall organization personality). In a few areas it will give options as to if an NPC is there or if the NPC runs where it will go. It is helpful, but usually before I run any session, I go over the information and make my own notes to decide where/when and what NPCs/monsters will do in different situations.

Remove ads