• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Princes, Thieves & Goblins

Two kings locked in a secret war. A missing infant who may be the heir to either of the embattled thrones. A dark secret that may ruin both kingdoms if the child is not found... but if you find him, who do you return him to?

ASEO

First Post
Princes, Thieves & Goblins - 2 Poor

This is a 16 half page mini-module in the AEG Adventure Keep line.

Back cover intro is reprinted on page 1.

Pages 8 & 9 are a centerfold 81/2 x 11 map. Map has no compass or scale

Page 16 is Legal stuff.

Front and back inside covers are adds or OGL.

This module was a very much a monster in room guarding treasure hack. The Stat Blocks were in D20 compliance which kept the adventure from being unredeaming even though the plot was a bit amusing.

This adventure is for 3-5 characters levels 4-6.

- - - - - - - - - - - SPOILERS- - - - - - - - - - - -

Court mage likes Queen, makes an advance, gets rebuffed and gets banished. Magically changes the paternity of the Queen's unborn child on his way out the door and leaves for areas unexplored. (I'd have made him knock up the queen, or perhaps get banished/flee after forcing himself on her, or perhaps actually being encouraged into the relationship by the Queen)

Suddenly Goblin raids begin to occur with more frequency in isolated hamlet. Seems that the Mage has usurped a Goblin tribe and with the aid of a ridiculous magical scepter (Acts as wand of wonder 3 times a day, changes one person into a Prismatic Goblin [new creature] DC30 Will save once per day, and gives wielder CHA of 30 in relation to all Goblinoids) is raiding the local area to make the king look bad since he can't defend this little part of his kingdom.

The King does send some rogues after the problem and they manage to steal the scepter. When they return to the king he has them killed so that they don't spread the news that the Goblins are lead by the court wizard. The Wizard in turn tells his Goblins to "Return what is mine." and they enter the king's castle and sensing the child's paternity kidnap him and return him to the Wizard.

The party is hired to recover the baby.

The party then enters the 19-room Goblin underground lair...Which is nicely all straight halls and rectangle rooms...

Room 1: Entry, 2 Manticores guarding entry and treasure.

Room 2 and 3, and actually most of the other rooms have a monster treasure format. Some of these are OK. 6 prismatic Goblins guard this room...Some have traps... like a fireball trap cast by a 3rd level caster...?

There are several wands listed as treasure, but none have charges listed.

There is a Manticore that gets so mad that it automatically makes all WILL saves. I wish my character could get that angry...

There is an (unused?) bedroom that is guarded by two Ankhegs. No reason why or how.

Another room has 2 Cloakers just hanging out by a well.

The New Creature: Prismatic Goblin is a CR1 creature that looks like a normal goblin, but each has a power associated with their particular color. Additionally, Goblins only hang out with others of their same color, so any groups of Prismatic Goblins will be with all the same color.

Red Goblins gain 1d6+2 points of STR for 1 hour, twice per day

Orange - gains an additional attack and +2 AC for 1d6 rounds, twice a day

Yellow - Charm Person (DC20) twice per day ...This will smoke most 4 to 6th level parties since you may encounter 6 or more of these goblins at once.

Green - Gains +1 AC, all attacks, and all saves for 1d6 rounds, twice per day

Blue - Mirror Image (3rd level caster) twice per day

Purple - "Hand-to-hand attacks do 1d6 damage. The goblin receives as bonus hit points for 1d6 rounds twice per day."
Sounds like vampiric touch, but not really sure from text.

This module is bad, but at least the stat blocks are correct and CRs are listed. If you want a basically pointless room-by-room hackfest this is the product for you. Hey, its only $2.49. so I didn't feel dirty or abused after reading it like I did after a couple of other products.

On the slight twist side, you can bargain with the Wizard at the end and maybe trade the baby for the scepter which would lead to another adventure in the king's castle.

ASEO out

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads