Probability Math for Resistance (help!)

sfedi

First Post
Naive question:

Do you really have to take this into account?

Aren't Resistances almost always below minimum damage?

If that's true, then you can do the simpler: avg damage - resistance

OTOH, a quick and dirty simplification would be to have a minimum and maximum damage for each type of roll, and assume they have a uniform distribution.
That's much more easier to calculate.

I mean, you want to detect outliers, so a little aproximation will not harm the process. With care, of course.

keterys

First Post
I was doing it that way when I did a batch of 8 high level critters, but something like 3 or 4 of the 8 actually went negative. I mean 2d6+7-10 isn't much negative and I did that in my head, but 3d8+7 Halved - 10 was a little more complicated but still doable in my head, but I knew when I jumped up to resist 15 it would just be coming up over and over. Really I was _hoping_ I could have it as a formula so that you could just enter the resistances for your party and it would all autoupdate appropriately.

sfedi

First Post
Well, with the simple approach you will detect those extreme cases.

And AFAIK you don't want the exact average damage, do you?

keterys

First Post
There's no such thing as an _exact_ average damage on critters like this, no. So, sure, it won't be off more than 0-2 on the average for most creatures affected. Ie, 2d6-7's avg is only like .97 and 3d8-13 is 1.87

So that's a good reason to at least put in the option to specify resistances and have it give you the close enough results. Though, I mean, if there did exist an actual formula to just plunk in and someone knew it, I'd still rather that. But I've got two solid options, good enough.

Remove ads