D&D 3E/3.5 problem spells in 3.5

Dark Dragon

Explorer
All of these are choices for the individual table. I find "Whatever ruling we decide applies to PC and NPC alike" tends to stimulate a very reasoned discussion as to whether a specific ability or combination should, or should not, be allowed, and how it should be interpreted.

And such a discussion is a good oppurtunity for further development of the game.
Often such discussions seem to start because a spell is considered too powerful or broken outright (at least in the groups I played), cheesy magic items came next (like the Animated Tower Shield of Adamantine Cheese used by a greatsword-wielding fighter), then cheesy classes (like the Radiant Cheese of Pelor, or the Morninglord of Cheese).

Playing all spells by the RAW is a very tough challenge for DM, IMO. IIRC, somewhere in the basic rule books (DMG?) it says that the DM can't cheat. If a spell seems to be OP, the DM also has the option to improvise in order to tone down a particular spell's power to keep an ongoing encounter interesting. Creativity is part of the game, and the "rules" are more guidelines, IMO (and I think this was mentioned in the DMG as well). If all players at the table agree upon that, discussions upon that "rules"/spell topic should be short.

resscane

Explorer
Thankfully it can be blocked easily enough with a simple 4th level spell, ray deflection, which, while we're on the topic, is way over powered.

Ray Deflection was the only way my party was able to get through the Shackled City campaign. A lifesaver for sure. Was that also from Spell Compendium? Been years...

One of the things that drove me nuts about 3e

the spells have this long list of components that seem like a scavenger hunt from hell to find, but you buy a pouch once every few games and you have 80% of them...

try this next time you sit down to play, tell your players a spell component pouch cost 2,000gp... it is still worth it.

Ahnehnois

First Post
One of the things that drove me nuts about 3e

the spells have this long list of components that seem like a scavenger hunt from hell to find, but you buy a pouch once every few games and you have 80% of them...

try this next time you sit down to play, tell your players a spell component pouch cost 2,000gp... it is still worth it.
I'm going to agree with you there. The components concept was largely wasted. Either don't include it at all, or include it and make it meaningful.

I'm going to agree with you there. The components concept was largely wasted. Either don't include it at all, or include it and make it meaningful.

If you had all the none priced components say "You need a spell component pouch" and all the focus ones say "You need a wand/staff/rod to use this worth XXX" you gain and loose nothing from the system as is... and that kinda sucks

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
If you had all the none priced components say "You need a spell component pouch" and all the focus ones say "You need a wand/staff/rod to use this worth XXX" you gain and loose nothing from the system as is... and that kinda sucks

I think the spell component pouch should have worked like the Disguise Kit or the Healer's Kit. That is, it is exhausted after ten uses. Now I have a resource that puts (mild) tension on my ability cast.

I think the spell component pouch should have worked like the Disguise Kit or the Healer's Kit. That is, it is exhausted after ten uses. Now I have a resource that puts (mild) tension on my ability cast.

I disagree Jacob. I think it turns spellcasting into resource management, much like an archer with arrows, PC's and trail rations, etc.

Once the players are past the first few levels I found we started to ignore that part of the game as the players soon gain spells and abilities that made tracking these things just extra admin work that did not add anything to the game.

Obormot

Explorer
I don't see anyone having posted this, but a WotC regular named chonjurer put together a famous "Problematic Spells" list, with analysis and breakdown of various ways in which the spell is problematic (mechanically overpowered? poorly written and confusing? breaks plots and causes DM headaches?).

I can't post links, but if you google "chonjurer problematic spells 3.5" (without quotes), it's the second link.

jasper

Rotten DM
I don't recall any core spells being much of problem in 3.5. But my group did break up due real life issues before they hit tenth level. Now if the group is not returning to base to resupply, some spells have problems.

But here is list I created for the spell casers
Spell Cost GP and XP 3.5
If the material component, focus or divine focus has a GP cost, the cost is listed; otherwise the player can assume that the actual materials involved are at the discretion of the caster and have no significant monetary value. The XP cost is also listed. If the component is over 1 gp or requires some time it will be listed.

Analyze Dweomer 1500 gp focus
Animate Dead 25 gp (black onyx gem) per hit die of undead
Arcana Lock 25 gp (gold dust)
Astral Projection 1000 gp (jacinth) + 5 gp (silver bar) x persons
Atonement 500 gp focus, XP 500
Augury 25 gp (incense), 25 gp focus
Awaken XP 250

Binding 500 gp per prop + 500 gp x hit dice for target
Bless Water 25 gp (silver dust)

Changestaff 28 day prepared staff
Circle of Death 500 gp + (powder black pearl)
Cloak of Chaos 500 gp focus
Clone 1000 gp lab supplies + flesh of subject + 500 gp worth of lab equipment as a focus
Commune 100 XP
Consecrate 25 gp (silver dust) + vial of holy water
Contingency cost of original spell, quick silver, eyelash of spell using creature, + focus 1,500 gp
I would say 1000 gp for material components.
Continual Flame 50 gp (ruby dust)
Create Greater Undead 50 gp (black onyx gem) x hit dice
Created undead 50 gp (black onyx gem) x hit dice
Curse Water 25 gp (powder silver)

Desecrate 25 gp (silver dust) + vial of unholy water
Destruction 500 gp focus
Detect Thoughts 1 CP
Divination 25 gp

Fire Trap 25 gp (gold dust)
Forbiddance 1500 gp + 1500 gp per 60 cubic ft, if password included additional 1000 gp + 1000 gp per 60 cubic ft.
Force cage 1500 gp (ruby dust)

Gate 1000 xp if calling creatures
Glyph of Warding 200 gp (diamond dust)
Greater Glyph of Warding 400 gp (diamond dust)
Hallow 1000 gp + 1000 gp per spell level included in area
Holy Aura 500 gp focus
Identify 100 gp (pearl)
Illusory Script 50 gp (ink)
Instant Summons 1000 gp (sapphire)

Legend Lore 250 gp (incense) or 50 gp (ivory) focus
Leomund’s Trap 50 gp
Limited Wish 300 XP or Spell cast XP plus spell material component

Mage’s Magnificent Mansion 15 gp
Mage’s Sword 250 gp focus
Magic jar 100 gp
Magic mouth 10 gp
Miracle 5000 XP plus see spell
Mnemonic Enhancer 50 gp focus
Nondetection 50 gp (diamond dust)

Permanency Check book/srd
Permanent Image 100 gp (powdered jade)
Phantom Trap 50 gp
Planar Ally XP 250
Planar Ally Greater XP 250
Planar Ally Lesser XP 100
Programmed Image 25 gp (jade dust)
Project Image 5 gp doll
Protection from Spells 500 gp (diamond), 1000 gp gem focus per subject protected

Raise Dead 5000 gp (diamond)
Refuge 1500 gp
Reincarnate 1000 gp (oils)
Repulsion 50 gp
Restoration 100 gp (diamond)
Restoration Greater 500 XP
Resurrection 10000 gp

Scrying 1000 gp mirror arcane, cleric 100 gp bowl, druid 0 gp
Secret Chest 5050 gp
Sepia snake sigil 500 gp (amber powder)
Shape change 1500 gp focus
Shield of Law 500 gp focus
Shield other 100 gp focus
Simulacrum 100 XP per hit dice (1000 XP min), 100 gp( ruby dust) per hit dice
Soul Bind focus 1000 gp (black sapphire) x hit dice of creature
Stone skin 250 gp (diamond dust)
Symbol of Death, Insanity,
Persuasion, Stunning
Weakness 5000 gp (diamond) 5000 gp (opal)
Symbol of Fear, Pain,
Sleep 1000 gp (diamond) 1000 gp (opal)
Sympathy 1500 gp (pearls)

Teleportation Circle 1000 gp (amber dust)
Temporal Stasis 15000 gp
Transformation potion of strength
Trap the soul 1000 gp gem x hit dice + trigger object
True resurrection 5000 gp
True Seeing 250 gp

Unhallow 1000 gp + 1000 gp x spell level
Unholy aura 500 gp focus
Vision 100 XP

Wall of iron 50 gp
Wish 5000 XP + material component over 10000 gp

Remove ads