• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Problem with RPGA Test Question

francisca said:
They need to re-adjust their expectations, because that ain't happening.

Well, I said they want people to EXPECt it to work the same. I didn't say that was what happened in practice. There is a reason I won't go near an RPGA game unless I know who the GM is going to be...

kenobi65

First Post
Venport, as Cthulhu's Librarian pointed out, the RPGA GM tests (both Herald-level and Master-level) are very much based on knowing how the rules work. Even if the answer doesn't feel right to your gut, it *does* make sense, by the RAW.

If you stick to by-the-book answers, you're gonna have a lot easier time passing the test.

And, in this case, as Pinotage points out, the answer is based on EL, not CR; EL takes into account both the number of opponents and their CR.

Arnwyn

First Post
kenobi65 said:
And, in this case, as Pinotage points out, the answer is based on EL, not CR; EL takes into account both the number of opponents and their CR.
How do the rules work out, though? Based on the info given in the thread, we have:

Party of 6th level characters in hills.

C) Bulette (EL 7; temperate hills)
D) 10 bugbears (EL 8; temperate mountains)

Pinotage

Explorer
Arnwyn said:
How do the rules work out, though? Based on the info given in the thread, we have:

Party of 6th level characters in hills.

C) Bulette (EL 7; temperate hills)
D) 10 bugbears (EL 8; temperate mountains)

Hence why I suggested that a bulette is not such a common creature. I know there are no rarity scales in 3e as in 2e and earlier, but it's the only way it makes sense. The question probably says most likely, so it'll be fodder like bugbears.

Pinotage

Arnwyn

First Post
Pinotage said:
I know there are no rarity scales in 3e as in 2e and earlier, but it's the only way it makes sense.
Exactly - and that's why I (personally) am confused by the answer (much like the original poster).

Remove ads