Votes: 21 95.5%
  • Nah

Votes: 1 4.5%

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
That should be relatively simple to do, I think
a (badly written) example:
"In general a mountain region is sandwiched in between a desert regio and a forrest regio"
How about:

Mountain Ranges tend to follow coastlines. If the landmass is large, two separate ranges will typically form on opposite sides of the landmass, such as the Appalachians and the Rocky Mountains in the Americas. While if the landmass is small the mountain range is typically more centrally located, such as the Apennine Range of Italy. Mountain ranges are caused by the collision of tectonic plates which often thrust earth upward on either side of the collision point.

For large-landmass collisions, where two disparate landmasses with mountain ranges collide together above the surface of the ocean, it's not unusual for there to be a central range or particularly significant river system and lowlands toward the center of the collision boundary, as one plate subducts under the other, creating a lowland, and the other lifts up.

Similarly, you can base a lot of your work toward islands and island masses by determining the cause of the island's existence. If you're looking at the trailing, still largely underwater edge of a mountain range, such as the Pindus range of Greece which is the basis of the isle of Crete. While islands formed due to volcanic activity, such as the Hawai'ian Islands, you'll have a significantly different quality of soil. Seamont-top islands tend to have hard packed and relatively low nutrient soil to begin with, while volcanic isles are generally far more nutrient rich, thanks to the volcanic activity.

arms

Explorer
How about:

Mountain Ranges tend to follow coastlines. If the landmass is large, two separate ranges will typically form on opposite sides of the landmass, such as the Appalachians and the Rocky Mountains in the Americas. While if the landmass is small the mountain range is typically more centrally located, such as the Apennine Range of Italy. Mountain ranges are caused by the collision of tectonic plates which often thrust earth upward on either side of the collision point.

For large-landmass collisions, where two disparate landmasses with mountain ranges collide together above the surface of the ocean, it's not unusual for there to be a central range or particularly significant river system and lowlands toward the center of the collision boundary, as one plate subducts under the other, creating a lowland, and the other lifts up.

Similarly, you can base a lot of your work toward islands and island masses by determining the cause of the island's existence. If you're looking at the trailing, still largely underwater edge of a mountain range, such as the Pindus range of Greece which is the basis of the isle of Crete. While islands formed due to volcanic activity, such as the Hawai'ian Islands, you'll have a significantly different quality of soil. Seamont-top islands tend to have hard packed and relatively low nutrient soil to begin with, while volcanic isles are generally far more nutrient rich, thanks to the volcanic activity.
I was actually trying to stay away from plate tectonics, but that could work

xiphumor

Legend
I was actually trying to stay away from plate tectonics, but that could work
I think you could have both scientific and narrative advice depending on how hard you wanted to go on world-building.

E.g. Talk about how island chains form from moving volcanoes, but also talk about the narrative possibilities island chains hold.

Last edited:

Faolyn

(she/her)
I think you could have both scientific and narrative advice depending on how hard you wanted to go on world-building.

E.g. Talk about how island chains form from moving volcanoes, but also talk about the narrative possibilities island chains hold.
And, I think, talk about fantastical ways that island chains or mountain ranges might form. Created from the corpse of a tremendous fallen titan. Molded out of clay by the potter-god. Raised from the ocean's floor by a cabal of powerful wizards from a bygone age. Caused when the forge-god struck their hammer into the ground and caused a great raised ridge to form. Formed when the great dragon queen was turned to stone. (I may have just finished re-reading Bone.)

I think that every one of these regions should contain both mundane and fantastic possibilities for their origins. With emphasis, of course, on the Narrator choosing just how fantastic they want to go for their world.

arms

Explorer
And, I think, talk about fantastical ways that island chains or mountain ranges might form. Created from the corpse of a tremendous fallen titan. Molded out of clay by the potter-god. Raised from the ocean's floor by a cabal of powerful wizards from a bygone age. Caused when the forge-god struck their hammer into the ground and caused a great raised ridge to form. Formed when the great dragon queen was turned to stone. (I may have just finished re-reading Bone.)

I think that every one of these regions should contain both mundane and fantastic possibilities for their origins. With emphasis, of course, on the Narrator choosing just how fantastic they want to go for their world.
smart

masdog

Explorer
Can we add a “Maybe” option to the poll?

This sounds fascinating. But I guess I’d have to see a sample or get more details before I give a hard yes.

One thing that I would really like out of something like this is the cultures, histories, and politics/enemies of a particular region more than the maps.

Remove ads