Would you buy it?

• Sure

Votes: 21 95.5%
  • Nah

Votes: 1 4.5%

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Apropos of nothing, assigning region types to individual hexes isn’t how it works. A region would be something like “The Parched Desert of Agriol” or “The Snowbear Mountains” or “Mirkwood” or “The Shire”. Regions can be big and small, but they’re not regular hex pieces.
Sure, but, like...

You could divide the Parched Desert of Agriol into sections that have different subregions. Like making the outer region of Agriol into, say, Tier 1 Parched Sands region, while the deeper you get into it, the higher the danger gets, with the heart of the Sands being a Tier 4 Parched Sands region.

Though I guess that really depends on how big the desert is meant to be.

VenerableBede

Adventurer
I think this is a great idea and I have friends that would kill for something like this.

For me, I next to never use settings or setpieces other than my own long-running homebrewed ones, so I'd be unlikely to buy such a product if it did not have great exploration challenges, spells, and character options.

A couple years ago I heard about a Great Depression-era project the US government did to pay writers to travel to different states and write guidebooks about small towns, local lore, and other bits of miscellanea. Not all the states were finished, but the ones that were are up somewhere online for free viewing.

I like the idea of doing something like that for a fantasy setting, with a mix of low-key story hooks and maybe a bit of "when you get into trouble in this weird situation, here are some rules for making it fun to play."

Like, I have a long-term goal of running a campaign set in an island archipelago for seafaring hexcrawling, with each island having its own unique little culture and dramas afoot.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Just as an aside I would also buy a product based on your world that you run your game in. While I am not playing I keep checking out the discord and love the setting
I do intend, eventually, to create a SotSA campaign setting. I just felt it might be a bit... niche... for my first kickstarter!

Settings notoriously don't do great numbers on Kickstarter, though they can and do succeed. Plus I need art that isn't place-holders for formatting purposes.

arms

Explorer
Sure, but, like...

You could divide the Parched Desert of Agriol into sections that have different subregions. Like making the outer region of Agriol into, say, Tier 1 Parched Sands region, while the deeper you get into it, the higher the danger gets, with the heart of the Sands being a Tier 4 Parched Sands region.

Though I guess that really depends on how big the desert is meant to be.
So if I understand correctly that would mean having a couple of hexes for each region/subregion that can then be added together to form a full region of as many hexes as you want?

Steampunkette

Supporter
So if I understand correctly that would mean having a couple of hexes for each region/subregion that can then be added together to form a full region of as many hexes as you want?
Precisely! Consider the Sahara. A Hex of 6 miles representing one region type (Parched Desert Tier 0" could be one of, like, eight hexes -deep- into the Sahara as a band around the outermost edge, then some Tier 1 and Tier 2 bands, and the closer you get to the center the more and more it rises 'til you're at the heart at Tier 4.

arms

Explorer
Precisely! Consider the Sahara. A Hex of 6 miles representing one region type (Parched Desert Tier 0" could be one of, like, eight hexes -deep- into the Sahara as a band around the outermost edge, then some Tier 1 and Tier 2 bands, and the closer you get to the center the more and more it rises 'til you're at the heart at Tier 4.
hexes-01.jpg
something like this then? so that book would not just have the hexes of different terrains but also examples of how large certain regions could be and in which shape? (river region beinga line of hexes (with bends), mountainous regions beins a few hexes deep andmany hexes long...)

Steampunkette

Supporter
View attachment 272762something like this then? so that book would not just have the hexes of different terrains but also examples of how large certain regions could be and in which shape? (river region beinga line of hexes (with bends), mountainous regions beins a few hexes deep andmany hexes long...)
Yeah, basically.

And then fluff text about the area. NPC Details, Worldbuilding elements, whole nine yards... but no actual world tied to it, specifically.

And could definitely do that, @xiphumor!

Remove ads