D&D General Professional DMs making $45k/year off it?

Zardnaar

Legend
Free online games are not the same though.

I started playing online during COVID and there are plenty of free games but I have found many of the players that sign up for those games are not invested in it. It is also difficult to do a campaign in a free game because most free gamers are looking for something this Friday, not every Friday. One game in particular I played I did not have fun. The other three players in what was going to be a campaign wanted to murder hobo and just be "silly" for lack of a better word. There is nothing wrong with those kind of light games on occasion but it is hard to find a good game that is free.

As such I no longer play free games, I will gladly pay $15-$25 a session as the games are worth it.

On roll20 it seems you have a lot of full paid games and a lot of DMs waiting for players and not a lot in between.

It's hard to get reliable players. A lot want to play when they want drop in drop out. When you have 1-3 players doing that.....

ECMO3

Explorer
I don't pay for dming currently - all my groups are going strong - but if I were to pay, I'd want more than just a game that happens. One thing that would push me toward paying is art assets - online that means enough to keep the visual style of the entire campaign consistent - all pc tokens, all monsters, all backgrounds in the same art style the whole way through turning the whole thing into a cohesive visual experience (and matching music), that's something I'd pay for.

In a live game it would mean minis and terrain.
The online paid campaigns I have paid for have this. As a matter of fact the DMs generally insist they make my token. They will ask for a picture or token of the character and then they will build a token with their own theme on it.

ECMO3

Explorer
It's hard to get reliable players. A lot want to play when they want drop in drop out. When you have 1-3 players doing that.....
The games I have paid to play have been pretty stable. Life happens and I have missed one session, so have a few of the other guys and girls but not often.

We have had more players drop out completely (I think 4 players total in the 3 campaigns I am in right now) due to changes in the job and work hours or for money. However it was always at a time that could be worked into the story and we were able to fill that spot within a couple weeks.

Zardnaar

Legend
The games I have paid to play have been pretty stable. Life happens and I have missed one session, so have a few of the other guys and girls but not often.

We have had more players drop out completely (I think 4 players total in the 3 campaigns I am in right now) due to changes in the job and work hours or for money. However it was always at a time that could be worked into the story and we were able to fill that spot within a couple weeks.

Understandable. If someone's willing to pay to play probably means they're more motivated.

I've spent thousands and right now I can play irl but most potential players are students (read poor and unreliable exams, drinking, etc).

An Advertisement

Advertisement4