D&D General Professional DMs making $45k/year off it?

Just for comparative purposes

As a DM who hosts, my average spend per session, since I primarily provide the primary meal (players provide drinks & snacks), is around $15 (translated as I'm not in the US). Pre 2020 we were playing face-to-face twice a month, so that was a dedicated $30 spend. These days I run 3-4 online sessions and 1 face-to-face per month.

When I'm a player and have to travel and purchase snacks/drinks I spend around $10.

Last edited:

In Australia we don't have the medical insurance issue and can run as a Sole Trader, so no double tax. But the challenge here would be finding enough of an audience in the time zone, or doing weird hours to work with US/UK time zones.

And sadly in the big cities here USD45K is quite tough to live on.
That time zone difference could be ideal for some. One could live in Australia and host evening games for Americans during regular Australian office hours, and then have your leisure time at the same time as your mates who work normal jobs.

Iry

Hero
I charged $20 per person back in the day, so a 5 man group was $100 a night.

The biggest issue BY FAR is getting decent people. I had to deal with some genuinely entitled, disgusting, and sometimes even abusing people. Don't get me wrong, there were some really nice ones as well, and those are the ones you want to court for regular sessions. But "building your business" really is the golden truth here. You have to spend months weeding out the bad ones to build up a roster of good people. And you have to do it over and over again to cover you for 5 days worth of players.

I ran the same campaign for multiple groups, to reduce the amount of planning it takes. Granted, each group tackles problems differently and goes in different directions, so there is still quite a bit to keep track of. What did surprise me is a few players showing up for the same campaign on another night just to play a different character and adventure with different people.

Stormonu

Legend
Uhm, sure? $10 sounds kinda cheap, honestly.

Where I live, the norm is ~$40.
Honestly, because of this article, I shouldn’t be surprised, but I am. At least a couple years ago people at my local FLGS were crying about paying $2 for a spot at a game table. Attitudes certainly have changed and I’m not quite comfortable yet with idea of paying/charging for the game I do currently.

Remove ads