Professional GM: Possible Return

catsclaw227

First Post
I thought I'd look into Quixtar a bit for you, Captain Commando, since I hadn't heard of it.

As an initial heads up, the second most popular Quixtar-related google search was 'Quixtar scam'.

It's a multi-level marketing system. IE, Those who recruit you get a cut of any sales you make, and your profits depend on recruiting others...

Just two pieces of advice:
1. If it seems like such a sure-fire way to make money, ask yourself why more people don't do it?

2. If there is ANY KIND of up-front investment required from you, walk away.

EDIT: On further review, Quixtar is pretty much a shady, shady deal. You probably shouldn't sink any time or money into that.
Quixtar/Amway is actually a few different product lines, and their dietary supplements and the cosmetics are in fairly high distribution.

It's not a small fly-by-night MLM scam. It's actually a big company. Yes, it's MLM for sure, but not a few guys in suits and ties with big teeth talking you into being their sales monkey.

EDIT: But yes, beware. These rarely, rarely become anything but a time and money suck.

Last edited:

As an initial heads up, the second most popular Quixtar-related google search was 'Quixtar scam'.

It's a multi-level marketing system. IE, Those who recruit you get a cut of any sales you make, and your profits depend on recruiting others...

Just two pieces of advice:
1. If it seems like such a sure-fire way to make money, ask yourself why more people don't do it?

2. If there is ANY KIND of up-front investment required from you, walk away.

EDIT: On further review, Quixtar is pretty much a shady, shady deal. You probably shouldn't sink any time or money into that.

I only just got an official pitch about it today. After further examination, it's not an illegal organization but the promises are kind of empty unless you are in it full-time and even then only with a lot of luck and a lot of disposable income from other sources. The amount of time and effort it would take to posssibly make a decent side income (not even full income) is more than I have to spare. With the time I would have to spare, the number of hours wouldn't likely produce enough results to be worth it.

EDIT: By today I technically mean yesterday afternoon as it is after 1 AM where I currently am.

On the subject of the nunchaku...

I learned the basics of nunchaku forms at a Tae Kwon Do school. I picked up a couple of extra techniques from my friend who studied Ving Tsun and explored more advanced techniques on my own. I "passed" the threshold of spinning two pairs in opposite directions, which let me develop a larger set of moves based on opposing spins. The latest thing I'm trying to master is performing a high back spinning hook kick without interrupting the rhythm of nunchaku movement. Nunchaku enthusiasts will know that the timing is especially crucial on this (you could end up hitting yourself in the balls).

P.S. Possession of nunchaku is illegal in NY and California. Plastic and foam nunchaku are the exception as they are universally considered toys.

Last edited:

aboyd

Explorer
I'm just going to quote, in case anyone missed this classic sequence:

First of all, my game and style are NOT the only reasons to hire me over others nor are they the main reasons. It is the COMBINATION of my storytelling skills, creative writing, elaborate setup, referenceable experience, and most of all schedule/location availability that set me apart from other GMs (most of them at least).

I'd like to speak with your references about how they enjoyed your games. Let me know who to contact.

My experience with GMing can be referenced through my recorded sessions on Meetup.com.

That's not referential experience, that's demonstrable experience. However, I'll not dwell on that. I would like like to hear these.

When I wrote recorded I meant that they take pictures and that my participation is more or less logged. I'm in the green shirt standing up if you check out the picture from the last monthly meetup.

Captain Commando's "references that set me apart from other GMs" boil down to a photograph of himself in a green shirt. Awesome.

resistor

First Post
I only just got an official pitch about it today. After further examination, it's not an illegal organization but the promises are kind of empty unless you are in it full-time and even then only with a lot of luck and a lot of disposable income from other sources. The amount of time and effort it would take to posssibly make a decent side income (not even full income) is more than I have to spare. With the time I would have to spare, the number of hours wouldn't likely produce enough results to be worth it.

Sounds like an absolutely normal MLM.

The major danger with a lot of MLMs (not sure about this one in particular), is that they often require you to pay for your own training and to buy initial inventory. While some people are natural salespeople and do well enough selling the product to offset these initial costs, many more are never good enough at it to make it worth the initial investment.

Tav_Behemoth

First Post
I had the pleasure of meeting the OP this week to share my experience with different approaches to professional GMing. I can verify that he is a real person who is putting a lot of effort into trying to make this happen, although I did not apply fire or acid to determine whether he is a troll.

I've met other real people who have successfully turned a profit in this way - I've done so as a middleman, although my attempt to pay myself for running "D&D for Cash" at Gen Con SoCal lost money - so I believe it's possible he could do so as well, although my experience is that it's more difficult than just about any other way one could try to make money, and the amount of money one stands to make is almost always marginal unless you're working with kids, already making much bigger sums from your game writing, or one-in-a-million lucky.

Since I'm also running something at the next NYC D&D Meetup and thus can't play in his game there, The Cap'n offered to run a session at another time so that I could offer a testimonial about the experience he'd provide as a GM. I think that's a great idea (thanks, perhaps, to aboyd) and would like to take the liberty of extending the invitation to other folks who are in the area and curious. I'm still trying to figure out when I'll have time, so PM me if you're interested and we can work out a date.

catsclaw227

First Post
CapCommando --

You had said that you ran tests of your adventures with the Meetup group, so surely you have individuals from these groups that would be willing to act as references. Is it safe to assume there are some that might be willing to talk about their experiences?

CapCommando --

You had said that you ran tests of your adventures with the Meetup group, so surely you have individuals from these groups that would be willing to act as references. Is it safe to assume there are some that might be willing to talk about their experiences?

On the meetup group's site there's a message board. I post details and a preview about the next game I'm running in a thread. It might be simple just to ask the players to write a review on the thread post-session to see what they liked best and what they thought could be improved further. I can provide a link to the threads for my games from now on so that potential clients can see what people liked about a particular adventure.

Flatus Maximus

First Post
:reads latest installment:

On the subject of the nunchaku...

:spits beer all over the screen:

Oh gawd, here comes the money shot!

I learned the basics of nunchaku forms at a Tae Kwon Do school. I picked up a couple of extra techniques from my friend who studied Ving Tsun and explored more advanced techniques on my own. I "passed" the threshold of spinning two pairs in opposite directions, which let me develop a larger set of moves based on opposing spins. The latest thing I'm trying to master is performing a high back spinning hook kick without interrupting the rhythm of nunchaku movement. Nunchaku enthusiasts will know that the timing is especially crucial on this (you could end up hitting yourself in the balls).

P.S. Possession of nunchaku is illegal in NY and California. Plastic and foam nunchaku are the exception as they are universally considered toys.

God bless you, Captain_Commando. God bless you.

Last edited:

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Every time I read these threads, I flip-flop in how I feel about this. I try to defend him, and the numchux come out. I try to laugh at him, and he mentions a legit marketing method for what he's doing. I consider that method, and then find out that he's only got a picture with him in a green shirt.

What is going on?!

And did I miss the link to the MeetUp.com info for Cap? I'm afraid to start digging back through this thread too far...

Remove ads