Black Flag Project Black Flag Design Notes #1

It's a shame Paizo isn't in a position to capitalise on the 5e/DnDone switchover. With pathfinder 2e being both its own thing, and extremely new, they're not going to be snapping up many of the players in the switchover. But they're not going to drop 2e for a new system either.
We'll have to see how many of the players who bought up all the PF2e Core Rulebooks during the OGL fiasco actually stick around and bring more players with them. It will be interesting to see how PF2e sales do when the print run Paizo ordered is available for sale in April.

I highly doubt PF2e overtakes D&D but it also doesn't need to. Competition makes everyone better, WotC included.

Well I really like their direction. I won't agree with every design decision they will end up making (just like I didn't during the D&D Next playtest, even though I liked it's direction). But I'm totally on board with their goals and a lot of the details, so I'm very hopeful I might actually get what I'm personally looking for.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I've been following you on this forum for a long time. I like your posts and your opinions a lot, even when we disagree.

I say this to you from a friendly place. You personally will never find a system that appeals to your tastes, because you have a strong vision and that vision isn't known to or shared by everyone. I think it would be great for you to actually start working on your own game stuff (which I'd love to talk with you about) and I know you'll be good at it once you start formalizing your ideas into publishable content.

But you literally will never be satisfied with another person's game. You might play it, you might take it for what it's worth, but you are one of those creators who needs to realize their own vision instead of hoping someone else does it for you. I say this because I'm literally the same kind of person, as many of us are on this forum.
I'm not expecting anyone to create my vision.

My main point, if you see my posts on these new games and half editions, is that one can make something that is backwards compatible with 5e AND implement new aspects to the game.

Because WOTC barely did anything with 5e. And what they did experiment with was usually broken and unusable. And the Community constantly complained about it. Some even moved to other games. But if someone suggest adding to 5th edition while staying within the 5th edition paradigm, the community balks. So we get a "No Take, Only Throw" where the community both begs for and shuns additions, causing the IP holder and major publishers to remain conservative in design. And development of the hobby crawls.

But I watched a lot of Magic School Bus as a kid so I'm different.

We'll have to see how many of the players who bought up all the PF2e Core Rulebooks during the OGL fiasco actually stick around and bring more players with them. It will be interesting to see how PF2e sales do when the print run Paizo ordered is available for sale in April.

I highly doubt PF2e overtakes D&D but it also doesn't need to. Competition makes everyone better, WotC included.
PF2 can never overtake DnD5e, as it's aimed at a completely different audience. There is some overlap, but the two games are pretty different.

I've spent quite a lot of time deciding whether to try switching over to PF2e, and decided against it simply because it's just too crunch heavy for me. Which is now why I'm waiting for a 5e clone to appear instead. My perfect system would basically be 5e with some additional classes.

Clint_L

Hero
If WotC really likes a design choice that Kobold Press makes as part of this project, do they just take it? Like, what if KP solve the sorcerer or monk issues in a really satisfying way?

Remove ads