Black Flag Project Black Flag Design Notes #1

I'm not expecting anyone to create my vision.

My main point, if you see my posts on these new games and half editions, is that one can make something that is backwards compatible with 5e AND implement new aspects to the game.

Because WOTC barely did anything with 5e. And what they did experiment with was usually broken and unusable. And the Community constantly complained about it. Some even moved to other games. But if someone suggest adding to 5th edition while staying within the 5th edition paradigm, the community balks. So we get a "No Take, Only Throw" where the community both begs for and shuns additions, causing the IP holder and major publishers to remain conservative in design. And development of the hobby crawls.

But I watched a lot of Magic School Bus as a kid so I'm different.
I agree with every line in this.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I was hoping for something more.

I was hoping for some publisher to feat a whole system of various feat replacement mechanics by now. Guess I have to learn how to make clean pdfs, hire an artist, and distrubute my system myself.
May still happen, I doubt this will be the only 5E clone in the near future. The Cubicle 7 effort may prove more experimental.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
"We don't think One D&D will be as backwards compatible as promised because they're changing 5e.

Anyway, here are changes to 5e."
The talking down of OneD&D is kind of weird, given how similar the changes they are making actually are?

So far the biggest difference in what we have seen is that Black Flag has increased the power budget of Race and Subrave (and thankfully renamed them), to create an interesting space for mixing and matching, whereas OneD&D is throwing out the Subrace mechanic along with the name. OneD&D Species have the same power budget as the 2014 options, to maintain backwards compatibility...which Black Project stretchs more, so the reasoning in the design article is odd.

Faolyn

(she/her)
The order of action is determined by what the character is trying to accomplish; talking, doing, or attacking. It basically switches the priority from the combat pillar to the social pillar of play.
What happens if someone wants to switch to a different action? Like, midway through the turn they realize the bad guy is too tough and instead of attacking, they want to run?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases