• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Project Daedalus (Issue #4)

Agamon

Adventurer
Tyroc shouts out his taunt at the large, mutating creature and begins to fly off. The beast screams in rage, but as he does, blood flies from his mouth along with spittle. He takes a step towards Tyroc, with the intention to jump after him, but he instead stumbles, falling to one knee as his body begins to spasm. Within moments, he lying on the ground, blood trickling from every orifice in his head.

Gah, sorry about the long wait, I really should have tried to get this post off right away before everyone posted their intentions. I'll get your reactions and try and post again tonight before I head up to the mountains tomorrow for some hiking. I'll be gone for a couple days, but we'll get back to something more regular after that.

Calinon

First Post
"Well, that should save a few missles from Naval Aerodynes," Tyrone says. Just to be safe, as he approaches the behemoth again, he keeps his force field up and moves any remaining unconscious or injured members of AF or Aegis away with his telekenisis.

"I doubt he's getting up from this; he looks like his body burned out. But don't take any chances. Keep your distance," he says, watching the man cautiously.

Tokiwong

First Post
Calinon said:
"Well, that should save a few missles from Naval Aerodynes," Tyrone says. Just to be safe, as he approaches the behemoth again, he keeps his force field up and moves any remaining unconscious or injured members of AF or Aegis away with his telekenisis.

"I doubt he's getting up from this; he looks like his body burned out. But don't take any chances. Keep your distance," he says, watching the man cautiously.
Misha nods approaching on foot, "The mutation could also be fatal... it may have pushed his body beyond its limits."

Agamon

Adventurer
A secret lab somewhere...
Dr. McDermott stared at the screen intently, taking in the numerical readings that had just appeared upon it. He looked over at the stoppered test tube connected to the machine beside the screen and scratched his bearded jaw. Looking back at the screen, a face had appeared where there was none before. A familiar face, and it wasn't happy.

"Doctor," Elizabeth Nelson said through her scowl, a scowl that appeared more often now that she was an assistant for Linda Walsh. Nelson was getting almost as difficult to deal with as Walsh these days. "You said your serum was ready for testing."

"Oh, uh hello, Ms. Nelson," McDermott responded, pushing up his glasses. "What do you mean? It is ready for testing."

"I'm not so sure of that," she says. The screen splits to reveal news footage of the chaos in Baltimore.

McDermott's eyes grow wide as he witnesses the carnage. "Good lord, what the hell happened?"

"Your serum happened, doctor."

"What, you're blaming me for this? Can you please explain?"

Nelson's scowl deepens. "You told us the serum affected the same dormant gene in humans that the virus does. We tested the sample you supplied on eight different baseline subjects, all of differing age, blood type and gender. Nothing has thus far happened with them."

"It may take some time to work, I haven't been able to test it on a live subject, myself."

"We've gone over this, doctor. It is difficult enough keeping you supplied in your current location. Live subjects are out of the question, especially after how you handled the last group of live subjects under your care."

McDermott frowns. "That was hardly my fault. And anyway, that doesn't explain the destruction in Baltimore."

"Nothing was happening, so a new test was devised. The serum was injected into an elite test subject."

"What!? That's not what it was designed for! Whatever monkeys you have working with my serum decide to screw around with it, and I'm the one to blame?"

"It was your serum, you should have warned us not to use it on an elite," Nelson replies, matter-of-factly.

"I thought that has painfully obvious! Who do you have working for you in Baltimore, college students?" the doctor yells, getting quite ruffled.

"The fact is, no one truly understand what you have created aside from yourself, doctor. When you can't apply the test yourself, you really should supply explicit instructions." Nelson composes herself somewhat before continuing. "The bottom line is, your serum certainly had an effect on the elite, but negligible, if any, effect on baselines. I'll allow the current tests to continue for two more days, but if no progress comes with that, you'll need to look into it yourself."

"I'm making some ground on the neutralization drug, is that not still top priority?"

"Of course. But you were hired to create both, which is what is still expected from you."

McDermott removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes. "It's amazing I'm getting anywhere at all, considering the circumstances. I was told I'd have another of my old subjects to work with. When can I expect that?"

"I believe we should have him for you within the next day or so, doctor. Until then, try to make due with what you have. I will notify you in two days of any progress in our tests. Goodbye, doctor." With that, her image disappears from the monitor, leaving only the experimental data behind.

McDermott huffs and decides it's time for a coffee break.

Agamon

Adventurer
Miguel and Sarah both get up, still feeling woozy from the blow they took. Neutron and Silvertip remain unconscious and Cumulus soidifies both herself and her uniform to check on them. As she does, she perks up somewhat, getting a message over her comm. "Eagle? Are you okay?" she repsonds. "Yeah, I think he's down for good...no, he just collapsed. Looks like he mutated past what his body could handle...Neutron, Silvertip and Jersey Devil are down, we're going to need a medical team down here...yes, we'll keep an eye on him."

She turns and makes her way towards the elite's form. "Is he dead?" she asks, looking him over from a distance.

Tokiwong

First Post
Agamon said:
Miguel and Sarah both get up, still feeling woozy from the blow they took. Neutron and Silvertip remain unconscious and Cumulus soidifies both herself and her uniform to check on them. As she does, she perks up somewhat, getting a message over her comm. "Eagle? Are you okay?" she repsonds. "Yeah, I think he's down for good...no, he just collapsed. Looks like he mutated past what his body could handle...Neutron, Silvertip and Jersey Devil are down, we're going to need a medical team down here...yes, we'll keep an eye on him."

She turns and makes her way towards the elite's form. "Is he dead?" she asks, looking him over from a distance.
"I hope not, he may be worth more to us alive then dead," Misha counters, "keep your distance, how is Jennifer?" he says genuinely concerned.

Calinon

First Post
"If not dead, then out of comission," Tyroc says. He floats closer to see if the brute is still breathing or not, and to see if there is anything apparent about his body that would have triggered his transformation.

Shalimar

First Post
Rachel trots up to the body and growls at it, her hackles rising. The red wolf paces around the man sniffing and growling for a few moments, but she quickly leaves off of her circuit to return to her earlier search for survivors, though this time she allows herself to range out further this time.

Using Scent ? Its a wolfish thing to do.

Mimic

First Post
What happened? Miguel says groggily, standing up and looking around. The last thing I remember is the big guy asking for help.

Remove ads