D&D 3E/3.5 Prone Rules [3.5]

chonjurer

First Post
Fabio B. said:
I have read the various threads about tripping in 3.5, and I'd like to know where in the rules it is said that I have to crawl when prone. I know, it is really "picky", but when I first read the crawling rules, my interpretation was to use them in other situations:
- when crawling in a narrow tunnel
- when crawling under a bed to hide
- ecc.ecc.

leaving the problem of a person fallen prone in combat to rolling away, with the possibility of tumbling away, as it happens in the many movie that inspire us :)
This might interest you:

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113725

You can run and move your movement while prone. The *only* penalty listed in any book for being prone is in table 8-6.

Last edited:

spunky_mutters

First Post
chonjurer said:
This might interest you:

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113725

You can run and move your movement while prone. The *only* penalty listed in any book for being prone is in table 8-6.

This is what DMs are for. There doesn't need to be a penalty listed, or for it to be explicitly spelled out in game terms for it to be apparent that use of regular movement requires your movement-related appendages to be in their upright and locked positions.

Yes it could be clearer how the game terms are defined, but just because normal movement is not explicitly prohibited, does not mean it is allowed. You are essentially arguing that a hole in the rules overrides common sense. This is a case of an absence of definition, and in those cases the only rule is Rule 0.

FrankTrollman

First Post
When you are prone, nothing stops you from jumping. The DC is 10 if you don't get a running start, it doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity and you land on your feet at the end.

Yes, the skill to avoid getting smacked when you stand up is Jump, by a literal reading of the rules.

It's kind of obvious that that isn't what they meant - but Andy's bright idea of making Trip more than twice as liekly to succeed and give extra attacks is horribly ungamebalancing - so I really don't care.

-Frank

spunky_mutters

First Post
FrankTrollman said:
When you are prone, nothing stops you from jumping. The DC is 10 if you don't get a running start, it doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity and you land on your feet at the end.

Yes, the skill to avoid getting smacked when you stand up is Jump, by a literal reading of the rules.

It's kind of obvious that that isn't what they meant - but Andy's bright idea of making Trip more than twice as liekly to succeed and give extra attacks is horribly ungamebalancing - so I really don't care.

-Frank

Except that the jump check is part of your move action, so for this to be allowable, you have to allowing move actions other than crawl and stand up to prone combatants (Since crawl and stand up allow AoO, it would be pointless to do a crawl-jump up). It also has a (where appropriate) after the land on your feet clause, which just serves to introduce more uncertainty.

Darklone

I never thought I must be reading something as this... if a player would argue like this with me, I'd show him the door after knocking him prone and then I want to see him run away.

spunky_mutters

First Post
Darklone said:
I never thought I must be reading something as this... if a player would argue like this with me, I'd show him the door after knocking him prone and then I want to see him run away.

Yeah, this is the kind of rules-lawyering that's all wrong. I don't mind players trying to find good combos, or using their resources to the fullest. It's when they try to use gaps in the rules descrptions to argue that black is white and up is down (or down is up in this case) that I just stare at them until the other players talk them into backing down.

chonjurer

First Post
I guess that Tom Cruise and Jackie Chan are malevolant rules lawyers then that would incur the beatings of any DM if they tried any of that tomfoolery in their sacred games.

Remove ads