Pronouncing Acheron: ASH, or ACK?

Castellan

First Post
Which do you prefer?

I know that the traditional Greek pronunciation is ACK-eron, but with modernization (Asheron's Call, etc) do you prefer to pronounce the name old-school, or new-school?

I'm getting ready to dump my players onto the Outlands near the Portal Town of Rigus, which leads to Acheron and I hope to encourage them to visit -- however briefly. Which pronunciation do you feel more correctly reflects that plane's "personality?"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Shemeska said:
Acheron = ACK-eron

I don't think every pronounced it this way, but I see it now. Interestingly enough, I tend to butcher the word and pronounce it ARCH-eron. I know, I know, there isn't an "r" in there, but for some reason that's the way I say it.

Weird.

Knightfall1972

Castellan

First Post
Emirikol said:
DICTIONARY.COM

Subtle hints aside ;) I was interested in a concensus of gamers based on the fact that there's at least a sizable group of folks who say ASH-eron. I've always said ACK-eron, but never really discussed it with anybody, and have never been able to run a game set there.

Thanks, folks! I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game more and more!

jester47

First Post
Its only ASHeron when its spelled that way... I don't think that Asheron in Asheron's call has anything to do with ACKeron the region/river of hell. Its like Aragon in spain and Aragorn in LotR. Sound the same in some respects but completely different words.

Remove ads