• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pronouncing Acheron: ASH, or ACK?

Perun

Mushroom
I pronounce it with 'ch' as in scottich 'loch' or german 'Ich'.

And in Croatian, it's spelled Aheron. And while we're already mentioning, Styks is either Stiga or Stiks, and Tarterus is Tartar.

(For those interested, Greek names are generally translated to Croatian based on the genitive case of the original Greek form, not the nominative case. For example, Artemis (the goddess) is the nominative case, and the genitive is Artemidos. The Croatian version is Artemida.)

Regards.

Wayside

Explorer
Castellan said:
I know that the traditional Greek pronunciation is ACK-eron, but with modernization (Asheron's Call, etc) do you prefer to pronounce the name old-school, or new-school?
The Greek pronunciation is actually a sound that English doesn't have, so it's been simplified to ACK. An equivalent would be that back-of-the-throat hocking-a-loogie sound English-speakers tend to associate with German, minus the hyperbole of course.

exile

First Post
It seems the official pronunciation has already been hit upon (and my vocabulary appropriately modified), however I always pronounced it Ahk-er-on.
Chad

Huw

First Post
Ancient Greek would be ACK'- (with slight aspiration, like English), modern AKH- (like German ch). Ditto Charon (the boatman).

I say ACK-eron. ASH-eron is wrong, but you've got to admit, does sound good. Since the DnD Acheron has nothing to do with mythological Acheron, there's nothing wrong with changing its pronunciation - they're different places coincidentally spelt the same.

Perun

Mushroom
Tarril Wolfeye said:
Which One? They're pronounced differently.

I pronounce it as if it were a german word, somewhere near scottish 'loch', but slightly higher.

Exactly! :p

I don't know how to accurately describe the sound... it's not as "sharp" as either, really, and can be somewhat likened to the "wh" in "who", although certain ways of pronouncing the german "Ich" come close (don't know what dialects those would be).

Regards.

Remove ads