• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pronouncing Acheron: ASH, or ACK?

Castellan

First Post
Which do you prefer?

I know that the traditional Greek pronunciation is ACK-eron, but with modernization (Asheron's Call, etc) do you prefer to pronounce the name old-school, or new-school?

I'm getting ready to dump my players onto the Outlands near the Portal Town of Rigus, which leads to Acheron and I hope to encourage them to visit -- however briefly. Which pronunciation do you feel more correctly reflects that plane's "personality?"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Shemeska said:
Acheron = ACK-eron

I don't think every pronounced it this way, but I see it now. Interestingly enough, I tend to butcher the word and pronounce it ARCH-eron. I know, I know, there isn't an "r" in there, but for some reason that's the way I say it.

Weird.

Knightfall1972

Castellan

First Post
Emirikol said:
DICTIONARY.COM

Subtle hints aside ;) I was interested in a concensus of gamers based on the fact that there's at least a sizable group of folks who say ASH-eron. I've always said ACK-eron, but never really discussed it with anybody, and have never been able to run a game set there.

Thanks, folks! I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game more and more!

jester47

First Post
Its only ASHeron when its spelled that way... I don't think that Asheron in Asheron's call has anything to do with ACKeron the region/river of hell. Its like Aragon in spain and Aragorn in LotR. Sound the same in some respects but completely different words.

Remove ads