• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pronunciations

Should the GM be a linguist?

• The GM must speak multiple languages for the sake of verisimilitude!

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • If the GM cares to pronounce things correctly, and I know the difference myself, that's just spiffy

Votes: 119 52.4%
  • Who cares? It's not like I pronounce anything right, so why should I hammer the poor GM!

Votes: 86 37.9%

MonsterMash

First Post
Most important thing is to be consistent, in a fantasy world who's to say what is correct. For a real world campaign I'd try to find someone who speaks that language as a native to give me pronunciation hints - easy enough in London!

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
Have some pitty on your poor GMs. They have so much to keep track of anyway. I call for mercy, understanding and enlightenment when it comes to GM pronunciation!

Arnwyn

First Post
mhacdebhandia said:
I voted "If the GM cares to pronounce things correctly, and I know the difference myself, that's just spiffy", but with a caveat:

I'm fairly unforgiving of common words. "Sgian dubh" is one thing, but "paladin", "drow" . . . and readings which just ignore the letter order.
Yeah, a big ditto for me here. I'm pretty unforgiving when words that I consider common (in D&D or otherwise) are butchered.

Henry

Autoexreginated
DM: "...and in the fountain you see a leak! What do you do!"
Player 1: "Ok, so the fountain has a leak. What else is in the room?"
Player 2: "DM, I'm searching the fountain for hidden compartments, messages, that sort of thing..."
DM: "...are you guys going to do anything about the leak???"
Player 1: "What should I do, PLUG IT? I don't care if it's there or not. What else is in the room?"
DM: "OK, then, the leak cackles with dried vocal chords, and says, "fools!" and casts a Finger of Death at you..."

Pronunciation CAN be very important, but I'm not a stickler for it.

diaglo

Adventurer
Henry said:
DM: "...and in the fountain you see a leak! What do you do!"
Player 1: "Ok, so the fountain has a leak. What else is in the room?"
Player 2: "DM, I'm searching the fountain for hidden compartments, messages, that sort of thing..."
DM: "...are you guys going to do anything about the leak???"
Player 1: "What should I do, PLUG IT? I don't care if it's there or not. What else is in the room?"
DM: "OK, then, the leak cackles with dried vocal chords, and says, "fools!" and casts a Finger of Death at you..."

Pronunciation CAN be very important, but I'm not a stickler for it.

my first thought upon reading your dialogue was:

DM..as above
Player 1... as above
DM,, as above
Player 2 as above
DM as above
Player 1: "What should I do? Fine... I go over pick up the leek and bite it. There you happy? I got my daily dose of fresh vegetables."
DM: :eek:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads