• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Protecting against Blasphemy

Trainz

Explorer
Blasphemy as an "at-will" ability is a huge mistake that the game designers introduced. It forbids the DM to use the critter at all, until the players are actually higher level than it, in which case it becomes a cakewalk: all or nothing.

Here's what you can do to fix Blasphemy as an "at-will":

-Replace "At will" by "3 times per day" or somesuch.

OR...

- Modify Blasphemy (and Dictum and Holy Word by the same token); give it a will save, but remove the "up to..." hit dice limit to also include players that are higher level than the caster level. A 25th level character would still be affected by a CL 20 Balor's blasphemy, for the "dazed one round" effect.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Trainz said:
Blasphemy as an "at-will" ability is a huge mistake that the game designers introduced. It forbids the DM to use the critter at all, until the players are actually higher level than it, in which case it becomes a cakewalk: all or nothing.

Here's what you can do to fix Blasphemy as an "at-will":

-Replace "At will" by "3 times per day" or somesuch.

OR...

- Modify Blasphemy (and Dictum and Holy Word by the same token); give it a will save, but remove the "up to..." hit dice limit to also include players that are higher level than the caster level. A 25th level character would still be affected by a CL 20 Balor's blasphemy, for the "dazed one round" effect.

That's definitely my thinking.

If/when I get round to running another high level game I'll modify that spell. Think I'll declaw it in much the way your suggesting. Perhaps the will save will merely shift the results 1 category 'better' on the charts, even if that is a non standard and 'janky' mechanic...

Unfortunately, not my game to run... I'm only a poor helpless player. :)

But I will speak the DM about it!

Nail

First Post
Inconsequenti-AL said:
That's definitely my thinking.
Mine too.

Inconsequenti-AL said:
Unfortunately, not my game to run... I'm only a poor helpless player. :)

But I will speak the DM about it!
Actually, next time you're in the Abyss, just cast silence...and keep it up whenever possible. Have the "scout" PC out of the radius so his Listen checks will work, and have the casters near the edge for quick "5' steps and cast" as the terrain permits.

The thing that really cheeses me is that my Clr 14's Holy Word just deafens opponents. Whoop-dee-freakin'-dee. :confused: :] :(

moritheil

First Post
Nail said:
Mine too.

Actually, next time you're in the Abyss, just cast silence...and keep it up whenever possible. Have the "scout" PC out of the radius so his Listen checks will work, and have the casters near the edge for quick "5' steps and cast" as the terrain permits.

The thing that really cheeses me is that my Clr 14's Holy Word just deafens opponents. Whoop-dee-freakin'-dee. :confused: :] :(

Clearly, your cleric's caster level to actual level ratio is not high enough! :p

For the record, it is silly that we say things like "oh, the next time you're in the Abyss . . ."

noeuphoria

First Post
Try casting it in the nights below. "Ok, so your caster level 19 Holy Word hits all the 12th level kua-tuo fighters, deafened for... 3 rounds, blinded for....4 rounds, and paralyzed for... 5 minutes? Damn, ok they're all out of the battle... wait, Kua-Tuo are immune to paralysis, ha ha, they probe about blindly, waiting for their oppurtunity to strke". The only really funny part is in our campaign, if you make a really high listen check, you can try to hit your opponent when blinded. So we get "Ok, he's blind, he makes a listen check... whoa...37!! He knows where you are and swings, albeit with a 50% miss chance...". "Ummm, he's deaf too, he can't hear s**t".

Nail

First Post
moritheil said:
Clearly, your cleric's caster level to actual level ratio is not high enough! :p
:)
My Clr 14 has Divine Spell Power and a Bead of Karma....so no, that's not the problem. ;)

Seriously: those four "alignment" spells need a rewrite. Badly.

moritheil said:
For the record, it is silly that we say things like "oh, the next time you're in the Abyss . . ."
:lol: No moreso that saying, "The next time I play 20 questions with my god (i.e. cast Commune)....."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads