D&D 5E Protecting and enhancing a baby carriage

1631199787861.png

My warlock in our current Eberron campaign has adopted a baby. She has a baby carriage that moves via Tenser's Floating Disk. It's basically the floating carriage from The Mandalorian except bigger so my imp familiar can hang out inside to entertain and protect her. I'm trying to think up ideas to enhance it and help take care of her. So far I have the following ideas, though it currently only has a sturdy lock.

Help me think of more. :)
  • An inch of lead lining inside the carriage.
  • Lock of Trickery. Common magic item. Xanathar's Guide to Everything, page 138. Preferably very high quality.
  • An enchantment on the lock that has a chance to break lockpicks on a failed picking attempt.
  • A talking doll. Common magic item. Xanathar's Guide to Everything, page 139
  • Permanent Alarm spell
  • Arcane Lock spell. It would be set to always allow myself and one or two other PCs to open it. There's also a passphrase: "I believe the children are the future."
  • An everful baby bottle. This doesn't have a source but seems like something people would invent. There's a similar homebrew item someone made here. I'd use Prestidigitation to give it flavor.
  • An everful jar of baby food. This doesn't have a source but seems like something people would invent. There's a similar homebrew item someone made here. I'd use Prestidigitation to give it flavor.
  • I have a cleansing stone already and would like it attached to the inside of the carriage so she's always clean. Eberron: Rising from the Last War page 277.
  • Something to keep incorporeal creatures from getting through. Maybe the lead already does this.
  • Box of Shrinking: Xanathar's Lost Notes to Everything Else page 62. It could be set to only work on the carriage if that makes it cheaper. Obviously I wouldn't expect it to work while Pandora is inside. :) Then again, if that's possible then even better.
  • Some sort of magical mobile or light show.
  • Necklace of the Nap. A homebrew item someone created. It would be cool if it were a baby blanket instead of a necklace.
  • The one-time effect of a rabbit's foot. It's a homebrew item.
  • Someone's homebrew Ring of Pleh. I'd use it to hopefully make someone who picks her up want to put her back down. :)
  • Someone's homebrew Ring of Muffled Noise.
  • Someone's homebrewed Temperate Clothes but as a property of something in the carriage rather than an outfit.
  • Homebrew Restful Pillow.
  • Something that can cast Leomund's Tiny Hut. It could be single use or have charges if that makes it cheaper. It could also be sized to only protect myself and the carriage if that makes it cheaper. The base spell is 3rd level so might not be readily available.
  • 3 feather tokens (the Eberron ones to keep her from plummeting to her death if the carriage goes over a rail in Sharn. Not the powerful ones in the DMG).

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
1. Cast invisibility on the baby carriage.
2. Get a Sphere of Annihilation (try Amazon)
3. Cast a permanent illusion around the sphere making it look like the baby carriage

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I would not put a magic lock with phrase only you knows. What happens if you die?
  • As for food, I'd try to find a way to make Goodberries and Goodberries juice.
  • A Faithful Hound could be a nice bodyguard.
  • Unseen Servant could make an effective nanny.
  • Prestidigitation would help cleaning is diaper.
  • Enlarge-Reduce could allow you to carry it in a pocket or special box.
  • A Genie Patron ( I dont know what kind of warlock you are) would allow you to protect the baby into your lamp.
  • Sympathy/Antipathy would allow you to repel creatures from the crib or force creature to care for the crib in case you were incapacitated.

All in all I just would not carry a child into an adventure. A careless fireball or dragon breath will be the end of your baby, no matter how many protections you put on the crib.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
All in all I just would not carry a child into an adventure. A careless fireball or dragon breath will be the end of your baby, no matter how many protections you put on the crib.
For a typically envisioned D&D campaign, yes, it would be far too dangerous to take along a tyke. But I'd assume that any game that countenanced toting a tot would be very different from your average D&D.

Definitely. It's a city adventure with more social stuff than combat so less dangerous. That said, my character was taken in as a child and raised to be an assassin / spy (think shows like Nikita, Red Sparrow, etc.). She's insanely protective of children and this particular baby has a history that is causing some groups to want to take her. My warlock is also only 13, a fact she hides using Mask of Many Faces, and doesn't have the highest Wisdom. All-in-all leaving the kid somewhere else isn't an option for her.

Plus, lots of fun RP possibilities. :)
I would not put a magic lock with phrase only you knows. What happens if you die?

For sure. There will be at least one other PC able to get past it: the cleric who has shown himself to be honorable and to not let prejudice against "monsters" dissuade them from extending a helpful and friendly hand. I'm not terribly sure about the other PCs yet as this is a game where everyone has a hidden past and possible agendas outside of just what the party wants. Nobody (AFAIK) is actually evil but, for instance, the party's artificer has taken a keen interest in little baby Pandora. In character I know that he is more curious than I'd like him to be and that he's was surreptitiously in touch with his guild shortly after I found him examining the carriage while I was occupied with looking through my familiar's eyes. Out of character: he extracted some of her blood to give to his guild though I don't yet know why.

The phrase is also there as a backup. I can tell it to anyone to give even more possibilities for Pandora's survival should something happen to me. Finally, my imp familiar will have instructions on what to do if something happens to everyone who can get the babe to safety.

For a typically envisioned D&D campaign, yes, it would be far too dangerous to take along a tyke. But I'd assume that any game that countenanced toting a tot would be very different from your average D&D.
Yeah. There are lots of reasons in game for not just getting rid of her. I'm also sure that the DM is the type who wouldn't just kill the kid. Kidnapping and intrigue are much more fun from a plot hook perspective. :)

MarkB

Legend
An alchemy jug set to make milk could be the feed bottle.

One fun approach would be to have a battlesmith artificer in the party and they craft their Iron Defender to incorporate the pram.

Remove ads