Proud Nails?

Dormain1

Explorer
But that makes it too good probably, to the point of a rogue holding a cold wand in his left hand (dagger on right hand), thus giving his powers the cold keyword, which combined with Wintertouched feat becomes a bit abusive. I don't know if this is strictly possible, but it gives you an idea to which point we can get.

The Staff of Storms says :
"Use this power when using a power that has the lightning or the thunder keyword".

I think that pretty much kills the idea that wands, staves and similar add the keyword of its power to the racial/class powers casted while holding it.

The rogue would not get the keyword due to holding the wand unless he multiclassed into wizard and used a wizard power with the implement keyword

The staff of storms lets you use the staffs power with any power you know as it is adding the lightning and thunder keywords tp powers with the implement keyword, note that some items do not have a power with a keyword

the items power keywords are only added if you are using the item ie fighter using a power with the weapon keyword

gives the wizard a reason to take quickdraw so he can change the damage type with a switch of a wand, just like a fighter switching weapons

which also means wizards are screwed if they dont have any implements they can only use cantrips

give me my wand of shield for force damage thank you

Kraydak

First Post
If that was the way it was suppose to work then the at-will of a frost-weapon would be useless.

Note that basic attacks are neither class nor racial powers and therefore do not inherit keywords. The at-will ability of a frost weapon may also, as noted above, overwrite the key-word based damage splitting. The rules are very clear (and very non-intuitive) on weapon/implement based keyword inheritance. Given the cold vulnerability feat thingy, which works nicely (and obviously) with Frost weapons, either WotC's playtesting was inept (by no means implausible) or the RAW is also RAI, as odd as that may seem.

Cirex

First Post
The rogue would not get the keyword due to holding the wand unless he multiclassed into wizard and used a wizard power with the implement keyword

The staff of storms lets you use the staffs power with any power you know as it is adding the lightning and thunder keywords tp powers with the implement keyword, note that some items do not have a power with a keyword

the items power keywords are only added if you are using the item ie fighter using a power with the weapon keyword

gives the wizard a reason to take quickdraw so he can change the damage type with a switch of a wand, just like a fighter switching weapons

which also means wizards are screwed if they dont have any implements they can only use cantrips

give me my wand of shield for force damage thank you

You are agreeing with me, then.

Tale

First Post
Implements are not required for powers with the implement keyword.

You are agreeing with me, then.
No, he's not. There's a caveat that the item has to be used in the power, not simply held. IE, it has to have the weapon or implement keyword (as appropriate for whether wielding a weapon or implement).

Shazman

Banned
Banned
The paladin's divine challenge really gets under my skin. It makes absolutely no sense for his deity to punish things for not engaging him in melee. It's super cheesy, and the only reason it exists is because the paladin is a "defender". There is absolutely no in game justification for this ability except for the fact the he is a defender and has to make himself a more attractive target for enemies. It doesn't matter how ridiculous the ability is as long as it is aggro-like. It makes me despise the paladin. That's just sad.

Korvax

First Post
There is absolutely no in game justification for this ability except for the fact the he is a defender and has to make himself a more attractive target for enemies.

Maybe if you approach it from the PoV that HP does not equal cuts & bleeding, this starts making more sense. The way I imagine it is that the "damage" being dealt when not responding to a combat challenge represents the demoralization that comes from backing down from a challenge, especially one that has the backing of a deity.

Hope that helps.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
A couple little things that bug me:
- a halfling wizard can't wield a staff as a weapon.

- shuriken don't deserve to be superior weapons.

Both are easy fixes of course: give staffs the "small" keyword, and make shuriken do 1d6 damage for anyone, not just rogues. (That last fix makes more sense to me if you decide that every attack with a shuriken consists of throwing several (say three) stars, but there is just one aggregate attack roll, damage roll, and purchase price for the set.)

Terwox

First Post
The paladin's divine challenge really gets under my skin. It makes absolutely no sense for his deity to punish things for not engaging him in melee. It's super cheesy, and the only reason it exists is because the paladin is a "defender". There is absolutely no in game justification for this ability except for the fact the he is a defender and has to make himself a more attractive target for enemies. It doesn't matter how ridiculous the ability is as long as it is aggro-like. It makes me despise the paladin. That's just sad.

The idea of sacred ritualized one-on-one combat has been around a lot longer than your distaste for it. :)

And remember, the deity is not punishing the paladin's opponent. Paladin powers don't work like that anymore. The paladin is using the power they were irrevocably granted by a deity and a ritual to punish their opponent.

Moving on, I think a proud nail for me is how TWF is handled... it's essentially ranger-only, which is kinda screwy. It does fit with the design though, I guess.

fuindordm

Adventurer
The paladin's divine challenge really gets under my skin...

This one doesn't bug me. In fact, it looks a lot like a divine curse.

Kind of like that other power that deals extra damage to the enemy if he makes any attack at all on the following turn.

I haven't played yet, but it does bug me a little that fighters don't get very much benefit from specializing in a weapon. I had the impression from previews that each weapon group would be able to do something pretty cool and unique from the get-go. Waiting until paragon tier for an enabling feat, or until 3rd level for a little extra bonus on one power, doesn't really cut the mustard.

On the other hand, it is cool that fighters can pick up a broken chair and skill kick ass with their powers... I just feel the loss of combat maneuvers.

Remove ads