• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pscionic Feats and Powers

Alexandre

First Post
First question the psicionic weapons feats that add 2d6 or later 4d6 points of damage is what kind of damage?

Second question pscionic weapon is X in critical hits?

Third question i would like to now the reason for psi warrior have cleric base attack?

Squire James

First Post
1. Psionic Weapon adds weapon damage dice, similar (but not exactly like) a sneak attack. A real weapon must be involved. Yes, this means this feat is an excellent way to penetrate DR.

2. Only base weapon dice and fixed bonuses are affected by critical hits. Bonus dice, such as those from sneak attack or Psionic Weapon, are not.

3. Psychic Warrior power progression is more like a bard's spell progression than a Paladin or Ranger's spell progression. They gain almost as many bonus feats as the fighter. They are a strong class as they are (2nd behind Clerics IMO), and granting them fighter-like BAB would mean nobody would want to play a fighter.

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
What the Squire said.

Psychic warriors don't NEED fighter BAB. That's what they have psionic powers for. Like a cleric that casts all his spells on himself in order to be a better combatant, the psychic warrior is not that impressive if he doesn't have the time (or the power points) to prepare for battle. The flip side is that if he does have time to prepare, he is better in combat than a fighter.

Alexandre

First Post
thanks for the reply adn there is some of my pointer, first fighter is always ready to fight his selection of feats, make him always the same yes, but he needs nothing more them be wake to do his job and he do it very well, the the psychic warrior is a cleric and shouldnt be compare with one , cleric have more versatility than a psychic warrior and they have all spells so if the psychic warrior have all powers i am sure he would be like a cleric.
I now the psychic warrior is a strong class but there are others like the favored soul class that have BaB fighter, and divine spells since first level char.
he is a warrior, he shouldnt have to spend rounds to be in a fair fight against a fighter he already have less hp, this should be enogh to balance the fight for the fighter, the psychic warrior isnt this good at low-med levels high and epic levels there is no away that a psy warrior has a chance against a pile of fighter feats because the fighter will not wait for the psy warrior to get ready.
One other question if he is a cleric class the reason for hes has only good save is? and i believe that powers should be a part of the reply because the have few powers and not everyone should take the same powers always right?

Spatula

Explorer
You forget that the psychic warrior also gets a pile of fighter feats. The psychic warrior also has access to psionic feats, which are generally better than normal feats.

the psychic warrior isnt this good at low-med levels
I disagree. A 1st level psychic warrior can do 2-12 points of damage plus his normal weapon damage once per combat. A 1st level fighter cannot match that.

Patlin

Explorer
Alexandre said:
he is a warrior, he shouldnt have to spend rounds to be in a fair fight against a fighter he already have less hp, this should be enogh to balance the fight for the fighter, the psychic warrior isnt this good at low-med levels high and epic levels there is no away that a psy warrior has a chance against a pile of fighter feats because the fighter will not wait for the psy warrior to get ready.

By mid levels, the psychic warrior has several powers he can use as a swift or immediate action, and several more with such long durations that he can keep them up almost all the time. As the levels get higher, IMO the psychic warrior's power curve puts the fighter to shame. Consider these feats in combination: Power Attack, Psionic Weapon, Deep Strike, Expanded Knowledge (Schism), Psionic Meditation. Note that all of them are eligible to be taken as class bonus feats for the P.W., only the first is eligible to the fighter.

At epic levels, the fighter gets a lot of epic feats. While that is cool, allow me to point out that at 21st level (ECL 22 for my half giant) a properly built psychic warrior can get BOTH overwhelming critical and devestating critical. Can't kick about that any way you slice it.

Last thing: As for the fighter not giving me time to get ready, did I mention I get Dimension Door at level 10? How is he going to prevent me from taking whatever time I need?

Disclaimer: D&D is a PVE game, not a PVP game. It would be more meaningful to compare how each character helps the party against a monster of apropriate CR than to compare two PCs in a fight.

Patlin

Explorer
RigaMortus said:
In other words... Psychic Warriors are broken ;)

Possibly. At the least, they occupy a lofty position next to the Clerics. I find your argument more difficult to refute than the suggestion that they are too weak, anyway.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm playing one myself. On a power scale of 1 to 10 (1 is the commoner, 10 is the egregious prestige class of your choice) I'm finding them at a 7, just above the 5-6 of average class power. I think they're on par with fighters and weaker than clerics.

Careful power/feat choices makes the psiwarrior somewhat stronger than average (hence the "7"), but the extremely short duration of powers means that they're only really powerful for one fight per day. . . and even then they need time to activate powers.

I have to say, though, I'm loving the tactical choices that the psiwarrior is giving me. There's a lot of strategy in how you apportion out the power points and which powers you activate, and I'm finding that to be a lot of fun.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads