• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionic Attack/Defense Modes

Staffan

Legend
SolidSnake said:

Ok, so you turned them into telepathic powers. I am wondering what you do for the actual classes (psion, psy warrior) to compensate them for that loss...do you give them bonus feats or do they gain nothing when the advance (in the sense of attack/defense modes)
Personally, I think I'm doing the classes a favor by getting rid of psionic combat. Except when you're encountering other psions, combat modes are pretty worthless (due to non-psionic buffer and psionic monsters not wasting PPs on defense modes), with the exception of Mind Blast (which I turned into an actual power, with a little brother to help it out) - but they can be debilitating when used against you by a psionic monster when you didn't have the PPs to defend yourself (since ability damage take a long time to heal).

Creamsteak

Explorer
Here is the generic solution I use:

Mind Thrust (Metacreativity) 1

Uses the rules as is, but remove the Psionic Combat DC Modifiers. You roll 1d20 + your INT modifier to set the DC and the target takes 1d2 int damage if you succeed. Allows for Power resistance.

Ego Whip (Psychoportation) 2

Uses the rules, drop the Psionic Combat DC modifiers. You roll 1d20 + Dex modifier to set the DC and the target takes 1d4 Dex damage. Allows for power resistance.

ID Insinuation (Psychometabolism) 2

Uses the rules, drop the Psionic Combat DC modifiers. You roll 1d20 + Str modifier to set the DC and the target takes 1d2 Strength damage on a successful strike. This attack doesn't allow for power resistance.

Psychic Crush (Clarisentience) 3

Uses the rules, drop Psionic Combat DC modifiers. You roll 1d20 + Wis modifier to set the DC and the target takes 2d4 wisdom damage on a failed save, temporary of course. This attack allows for power resistance.

Mind Blast (Telepathy) 5

DC is set as 1d20+Charisma Modifier +4. Allows for power resistance, and always stuns, never does ability damage.

As for defense modes, it's a little bit trickier and I never dealt with it. Basically in order to make up for the weakness you cause, you should give them additional powers to choose from.

Both classes should get 3 more 1st level powers, 3 more 3rd level powers, and 3 more 2nd level powers, and one additional 5th level power.

Level (bonus power)
1st - Additional 1st level power
2nd - Additional 1st level power
3rd - Additional 2nd level power
4th - Additional 1st level power
5th - Additional 2nd level power
6th - Additional 3rd level power
7th - Additional 2nd level power
8th - Additional 3rd level power
9th - Additional 3rd level power
13th - Additional 5th level power

I know it throws the flow off... but then again there are always better ways of doing thigns. If I had more interest in psionics I'd do my own conversion to correct some of the innate flaws I feal are there, but I really don't want to spend the time...

The psychic warrior is a bit more difficult--they already have plenty of bonus feats. Perhaps they might get damage reduction +1/- at 10th, 15th, and 20th levels?

Psychic warriors gain a benefit by not having psionic combat. They tend to have poor Will saves, and can't use Body Adjustment to heal stat damage.

No DR - not without spending power points, and being bait for Negate Psionics.

Remove ads