Psionic Attack/Defense Modes

SolidSnake

First Post
I have been hearing many people lately saying that they have done away with these aspects of psionics entirely. I was wondering what would, if anything, replace them? I only ask because in my own campaign their use is rather infrequent and so if I did decide to elimanate them I would want to compensate the character in some shape or form.

Staffan

Legend
In my campaign, they've been replaced by two telepathic powers. One is basically Mind Blast as a 5th level power. I haven't designed the other one yet - I know it will be a 2nd level power that stuns a single target, but I am still wobbling a bit on for how long the stun effect will last. I'm thinking either 1 round per level (like Hold Person) or 2d4 rounds.

On one hand, being Held is a nastier effect than being stunned - a stunned character is not helpless (that is, Coup-de-Grace-fodder), he's just unable to do anything. On the other hand, Hold can be dispelled but stunning can't. Also, a 2d4 stun is more in line with the 3d4 stun (with area effect) generated by the Mind Blast.

SolidSnake

First Post
Staffan said:
In my campaign, they've been replaced by two telepathic powers. One is basically Mind Blast as a 5th level power. I haven't designed the other one yet - I know it will be a 2nd level power that stuns a single target, but I am still wobbling a bit on for how long the stun effect will last. I'm thinking either 1 round per level (like Hold Person) or 2d4 rounds.

On one hand, being Held is a nastier effect than being stunned - a stunned character is not helpless (that is, Coup-de-Grace-fodder), he's just unable to do anything. On the other hand, Hold can be dispelled but stunning can't. Also, a 2d4 stun is more in line with the 3d4 stun (with area effect) generated by the Mind Blast.

Ok, so you turned them into telepathic powers. I am wondering what you do for the actual classes (psion, psy warrior) to compensate them for that loss...do you give them bonus feats or do they gain nothing when the advance (in the sense of attack/defense modes)

You're doing psions a favor by getting rid of psionic combat. Other than Mind Blast, all of the combat modes are a liability. Of course, you'll want to compensate psions for now missing out on Resculpt Mind.

Bruce Cordell is working on Mindscapes, which has rules compatible with ITCK. It also has a new psionic combat system. It's due to be released in February.

SolidSnake

First Post
Unfortunately I don't think ITCK compensated the attack/defense mode aspect of the psion...the new rules increased the PPs and powers known.

Do you think replacing an attack/defense mode for a psionic metapsionic feat would be balanced if done in a 2 to 1 ratio?

ITCK had no effect on combat modes or psionic combat in general, since Bruce Cordell hadn't finished with Mindscapes (not 'til February).

Giving one feat per 2 combat modes is probably balanced, although you might want to spread them around (not 2 or 3 at first level, for instance). However, the bonus feats should not be solely metapsionic (Bruce Cordell had intended all types of psionic feats to be included, but some sort of error was made). [For clarification on this point, see the http://pub58.ezboard.com/fokayyourturnfrm18 Psionics FAQ).

Jeph

Explorer
For the Psion, I'd do it like the Wizard's bonus feats--that is, one at 1st level and everyt level divisable by 5.

The psychic warrior is a bit more difficult--they already have plenty of bonus feats. Perhaps they might get damage reduction +1/- at 10th, 15th, and 20th levels?

SolidSnake

First Post
Jeph said:
The psychic warrior is a bit more difficult--they already have plenty of bonus feats. Perhaps they might get damage reduction +1/- at 10th, 15th, and 20th levels?

Would this be completely out of line in terms of game balance though?

Remove ads