• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionic Books: WotC and Others

sjmiller

Explorer
So, I am finally getting around to possibly doing a campaign that allows psionics in it. I do not own any psionic books, mainly because I do not normally allow psionics in my fantasy games. That is a whole other thread, so I will not go over that here.

What I am interested in finding out is, of the WotC psionic books what would you say is the best one? If you ranked them, in what order would you rank them? I know there are at least three books in question, maybe more. What books are out there?

Once you are past that, what about non-WotC books? Are there any you would rate higher then theirs? Are there ones you rate lower? What ones should be avoided completely? Which are the must own volumes?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The best WotC psionics book is, unsurprisingly, the Expanded Psionics Handbook, as it lays down the basics for the system. Check out the majority of its content over at The Hypertext d20 SRD (v3.5 d20 System Reference Document) :: d20srd.org.

In regards to Complete Psionic, I found it to be lackluster at best. It's not truly bad, but it brings nothing really new or innovative to the table. There are some nice feats and powers, I suspect, but it really just feels like the entire book was phoned in.

I haven't read Secrets of Sarlona, the Eberron psionics book, so I can't comment on it.

In regards to third-party books, most people regard Malhavoc Press's Hyperconscious: Explorations in Psionics to be the true sequel to WotC's Expanded Psionics Handbook, and not just because it has the same author. This book includes a lot more in terms of new ideas, such as re-introducing psionic combat, which standard 3.5 removed. It's a very good book.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Dreamscarred Press. This small third-party company produces some of the best 3.5 psionic content I've ever seen, bar none. Notwithstanding their Mentalis Design (for non-psionic material) and Phrenic Power (for 4E material) lines, everything they've done is psionic in nature. I STRONGLY recommend picking up their first book, Untapped Potential: New Horizons in Psionics (Expanded Version) and going from there.

Beyond that, there are a few other psionics sourcebooks scattered around, but those listed above are the really big ones, and should be more than enough to start you off.

Ahnehnois

First Post
The Psychic's Handbook by Green Ronin is an alternative skill and feat based system. It takes some work but ultimately I think it's a better approach to the topic because the powers are open-ended while still being defined within the rules, and the use limitations are fatigue based rather than some silly spell point system. It's easy to learn if you're just introducing it and it's just one short book.

As far as WotC stuff, the XPH took many steps forwards but some steps back when compared to the 3.0 version (making the psions all int-based and adding the wilder were not good decisions). Complete Psionic has a reputation on these boards for being an unbalanced disaster, but I don't have it so I can't comment too much. Fundamentally, it's all basically a variant magic system and has similar balance concerns as the core magic system.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The XPH is, as others stated, a solid sourcebook, and Hyperconscious is probably the best supplement to it out there.

CompPsi is...OK. It isn't over or under powered as a whole, just kind of lackluster. There are some good ideas in there, but not enough.

IMHO, the psionic material found in Dragon was better done than in CompPsi. For example, there is an article in Dragon #341- which came out contemporaneously with CompPsi- detailing feats for the Soulknife. There is one feat in it that actually does the work of 3 feats from CompPsi. The ones in CompPsi are blade-shape feats that let you form a particular Exotic weapon. The one in Dragon uses the same prereqs, but lets you choose to shape your mindblade into whatever weapon you choose when taking that feat, and lets you take it multiple times. That's a LOT more efficient on multiple levels.

Green Ronin's Psychic Handbook is a well-written alternative to the XPH, but I still prefer WotC's system for a typical FRPG campaign. I'd feel better using the Psychic Handbook in a Modern/Urban Fantasy setting.

DaemonHunter

First Post
I'm not a big fan of XPH (go for it Dando LOL) For me the first was better but only because Xph made psionics just like magic i.e most of the powers IMHO were just spells redone. If thats how you like the idea for psionics fine but I dont I like the 2e its diffrent version, that being said alot of the base stuff in XPH was much better written. I havent tried any of the other non WotC stuff yet but I may just do that, as I am currently using a crazy mix of both PH and XPH LOL.

Dandu

First Post
I'm not a big fan of XPH (go for it Dando LOL) For me the first was better but only because Xph made psionics just like magic i.e most of the powers IMHO were just spells redone.
There are many that have no spell counterpart, like Metaconcert, Anticipatory Strike, Psychic Reformation, Schism, Microcosm, and Sensitivity to Psychic Impression.

DaemonHunter

First Post
Not wanting to hi-jack but have looked into the malhavoc book Alzrius mentioned and it is n adventure supliment :-S I also found ,if thoughts could kill, and Mindscapes - a Psions guide, this book meantions its a source book written after and covering 'if thoughts could kill'. I am alittle confussed which of these would be the best to get or are they intended to be used together?

Dandu sorry for getting your name wrong :blush: Yes I agree there are some nice psionic only spells but also lots of spells made psionic which took something away from it all for me. I think the rules are alot clearer in XPH but PH just has that 2e this is not magic feel more for me. If you were to use XPH as just a logical extention to magic as wizards = learnt magic, Sorceror = focused magical source from bloodlines then psionics = magic through pure inner magical energy. They do follow on quite nicely :) I think my problem with psionics in general now is I do like the' Its diffrent feel' but it is hard to do with the 3.x rules as they are, take SR for example do you give PR (Power Resitance) equal to this? its then just as magic or do you give them less? the problem with this is then psionics are better than magic :-S When I think on it too much it makes my head hurt :lol:

i think if more peplies come in over my post I will have to start a new thread for it so I can really find what you guys think :)

DaemonHunter

First Post
Thats my point it doesnt really have the feel for me but then anything else would be just wrong. Anyway so as not to hijack this thread I have started another for your thoughts. feelings and thoughts on Psionics

I'm not out to say any of you are wrong, I really would like you thoughts this has bugged my for years now :(

Remove ads