D&D 5E Psionicist class ideas based on the Psi Die from Tasha's

Make a full Psionicist?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
So the Mystic bit the dust. Honestly, I feel like that was kind of the right decision because they were trying SO HARD to make the class cover literally every role and option of every other character class to the point of it being an obnoxious mess. I thought the idea of Disciplines as "Spell Groupings" that you learned was a really cool concept, but WotC decided to throw the baby out with the bathwater and lean REALLY HARD on the Wild Talent angle.

I think that was a poor decision.

But moving forward they've flatly decided that the Psionic Die is the way to go. A scaling and shifting tool that determines how your psionic powers function. It's neat... but being tacked onto Fighter, Rogue, and Sorcerer it's also very limited in how much it can actually do without interfering with all the class features of those classes too heavily.

So I figured I'd poke at a few ideas... The first one I've had is: Multiple Psionic Dice.

What if a level 1 Psionicist started with a d6 (Like a 3rd level Soulknife or Psy-Knight, or a 1st level Psionic Sorcerer). But at 3rd level, instead of increasing the Psi Die, they gained a second dice at 1d4.

Could put in a stipulation that a given ability could only benefit from one Psionic die, but make it so they can use multiple psi die in a turn if they've got abilities that use Psionic Dice that have different action costs. Or they can use the d6 'til it breaks by rolling max value twice, and then start rolling that d4 to try and grow it into a d6 before it rolls a 4 and is also lost. Short Rest recovery and all...

How about at 5th level their main Psi Die increases to 1d8 but they still have that d4 until 7th level when it grows to 1d6. Then at 9th they get their third die at d4.

11 their first die grows to 1d10, 13 their second die grows to 1d8, and 15 their third die grows to 1d6.

At 17th, 18th, and 19th levels their dice grow again, maxing out at 1d12, 1d10, 1d8.

But How do they use them?

Talents. Cantrips that scale like normal, but also get a bonus whenever you use a Psi Dice with them.

Like a Psychic Blast Talent. Normally does 1d6 damage (2d6 at 5, 3d6 at 10, 4d6 at 15) on a failed Intelligence Save, half damage on a successful one to a single target within 30ft.
But if you use a d4 Psi Die to pump the power you make it a 5ft line and add that d4 to the damage for every d6 you roll. (So at level 1 you're rolling 1d6+1d4, and at level 5 you're doing 2d6+2d4)
Use a d6 Psi Die and it has the 5ft line and stuns the target until the start of your next turn, plus the d6 added to every normal damage die you'd roll. (Level 10 would do 3d6+3d6!)
Use a d8 Psi Die and it becomes a 30ft cone that stuns the target until the start of your next turn, plus the d8 for every dice rolled.
Use a d10 and it stuns everyone in that cone for 1 minute if they fail their save and they get to try again at the end of their turns, adds the d10 to each dice.
Use a d12 and it becomes a 60ft cone with all the previous benefits.

So once you're 17th level you can throw a 60ft cone Psionic Blast that deals 4d6+4d12 and stuns all targets for a minute... But if you roll a 12 on any of those damage dice, your Psi die shrinks to a d10 and you can only do a 30ft cone the next time you use the ability that deals 4d6+4d10. Unless you also roll a 1 on those 4d12, of course.

In addition to some Pumpable Talents, the class should get an Eldritch-Blast style equivalent baseline effect. Something that deals 1d10 and scales with level to hit multiple targets... So that while using a Talent with a Psi Dice is particularly valuable, they still get something nice for when they run out of Psi Dice.

Slap on an Invocation-Style mechanic, with invocations that affect the Eldritch Blast equivalent, add in psionic movement options and abilities that manipulate the psi dice or allow them to be used for something other than Talents, then maybe give the Base Class some Telepathic funtime stuff and defensive powers...

And make Shapers, Psionic Chirgeons, and Psychic Warriors into Archetypes/Subclasses.

My question to you, Dear Reader, is whether I should actually write this out into a full class, or just leave it on the vine to die.

Stormonu

Legend
Psionicist SHOULD be its own class, not just tacked on existing classes. I wouldn't be against each major class (Fighter, Cleric, Rogue and Sorcerer) getting a single subclass or two with psionic abilities, but I won't accept psionics until there is a dedicated class with its own subclasses.

I've been working on my own version, it's very much a work-in-progress, and I haven't had a chance to begin playtesting it. I wanted a class that use a points system, so it's a hybrid warlock with spell points. Would like to see your version as well for comparison, and maybe replace some of the mechanics I've been considering.

Attachments

• Psion - The Homebrewery.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 230

Steampunkette

Supporter
I actually did one years ago using the Mystic as a Basis. And then created a Psychic Warrior as well.

They worked pretty well. I played them a few times in the intervening years, and had players at my tables playing them, too.

But with the whole changeover to the Psionic Die I feel like there might be a way to create something New.

jgsugden

Legend
As they played a prominent role in prior editions, and people convert their campaigns from edition to edition, it is bit frustrating to not have a Psion / Psionicist and a Psychic Warrior class yet. I had to make my own conversions years ago, but I'd rather have official rules.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Looks a little complicated when presented like that, but from what I understand, it look like a great idea.

What I would like the most is a mix of the Disciplines system from the Mystic (with a stripped down list) that uses the increasing/decreasing psi-die from later UA.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
It strikes me as sort of funny the logic that “psionics should be it’s own class because it was in previous editions,” when players from 1976-1991 were introduced to and used psionics as a system outside of its own class (in its Eldritch Wizardry/1st edition AD&D appendix form before the 2nd edition Complete Psionics Handbook). All the psionic characters I’ve played have been non-psionic classes; as described in that Your First Character thread, my first D&D character was a cleric who rolled well on Gary’s old psionics table!

Initially, the game differentiated Fighting Man and Magic User, but it quickly stopped siloing spellcasters into one single class (whether Spellcasting has permeated into too many classes is a whole ‘nother debate). Keeping psionic abilities corralled into one class — contrary to various literary depictions of the breadth of mental powers within other heroic skillsets — is one choice, but not necessarily the only or correct choice in the game’s history (indeed one which proves contrary to other decisions for similar issues in design over the past few decades).

The idea of spreading out psionics across classes but having a unified (simple to use) game mechanic to describe that system strikes me as elegant, similar to how different classes interact with a common Spellcasting system. The challenge is to not make it too complicated (where previous iterations of 5e psionics in UA have crashed and burned, as attempts to throw in extra math eliminated its elegance).

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
As they played a prominent role in prior editions, and people convert their campaigns from edition to edition, it is bit frustrating to not have a Psion / Psionicist and a Psychic Warrior class yet. I had to make my own conversions years ago, but I'd rather have official rules.
True words.

Steampunkette

Supporter
It strikes me as sort of funny the logic that “psionics should be it’s own class because it was in previous editions,” when players from 1976-1991 were introduced to and used psionics as a system outside of its own class (in its Eldritch Wizardry/1st edition AD&D appendix form before the 2nd edition Complete Psionics Handbook). All the psionic characters I’ve played have been non-psionic classes; as described in that Your First Character thread, my first D&D character was a cleric who rolled well on Gary’s old psionics table!

Initially, the game differentiated Fighting Man and Magic User, but it quickly stopped siloing spellcasters into one single class (whether Spellcasting has permeated into too many classes is a whole ‘nother debate). Keeping psionic abilities corralled into one class — contrary to various literary depictions of the breadth of mental powers within other heroic skillsets — is one choice, but not necessarily the only or correct choice in the game’s history (indeed one which proves contrary to other decisions for similar issues in design over the past few decades).

The idea of spreading out psionics across classes but having a unified (simple to use) game mechanic to describe that system strikes me as elegant, similar to how different classes interact with a common Spellcasting system. The challenge is to not make it too complicated (where previous iterations of 5e psionics in UA have crashed and burned, as attempts to throw in extra math eliminated its elegance).
The intention isn't to corral all the psionic abilities in a single place so that no other character classes have access to them. It's to create a character class which exemplifies those abilities.

There will still be a psionic knight, a soulknife, and a sorcerer with psionic powers. There will still be psionic feats.

There will just also be a psionic class.

Sort of like a wizard is the core arcane spellcaster, but there are eldritch knights and arcane tricksters, and magic initiate feats.

The intention isn't to make it one way or the other, it's to just have both.

It should also be noted that 1971 to 1991 was 20 years! But 1991 to 2021 is 30 years! Second edition, third edition, and fourth edition have had full psionic classes for much longer than the time you used as an example. It's a common refrain but one I find deeply confusing...

Last edited:

I like the idea of a psionic die or dice as a way to differentiate psionics from how magic is handled. What I don't like is how the die changes in size based on the roll. It removes player agency and doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd much prefer the ability to choose to maximize the roll of a psionic die at the cost of reducing its size for subsequent rolls until you take a short or long rest.

Steampunkette

Supporter
I like the idea of a psionic die or dice as a way to differentiate psionics from how magic is handled. What I don't like is how the die changes in size based on the roll. It removes player agency and doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd much prefer the ability to choose to maximize the roll of a psionic die at the cost of reducing its size for subsequent rolls until you take a short or long rest.
Currently one of my thoughts for "Psionic Quanta". Basically Eldritch Invocations for this Psionic class.

Direct manipulation of your Psionic Dice for situations where you feel you need it.

I think I'll call that "Expending" a Psionic Die. 'Cause you're intentionally exhausting it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases