D&D 5E Psionics in 5e: how?

Someone

Adventurer
So, it has come to this.

This thread is not to discuss if psionics belongs to d&d (discussion that will surely become ugly very quickly) nor to debate if it should be included in the core books – as much as I’ve liked the concept in previous editions, there are good reasons to why it shouldn’t. So let's assume for the thread's sake they'll come in some splatbook.

Instead, I’d like to know what approach would you like the design to take. I can see three options:

1- PseudoVancian, or 3e approach. Psionics use a slightly modified version of standard magic, with powers being discrete, narrow and well defined effects that are learnt in number and rate at roughly the same pace as spells, which they use as a benchmark of power. They can be learnt with few thematic restrictions –for example, you can learn a telekinetic power that allows you to throw an enemy, but still not be able to do the same to inanimate objects-. They may vary on exact execution or flexibility, but they are a daily resource.
2- Superhero approach: Psionic characters learn a very small range of broad and flexible powers they can use very often, perhaps with a system to enhance or use them in unorthodox ways. For example, a telekinetic psion could lift things with his mind or throw objects as a ranged attack all day long, but must use some resource (daily or not) to telekinetically pick up a weapon and fight with it, or lift heavier objects. Those special tricks could be learnt as separate tricks, or be improvised on the fly.
3- Something in between, or 2e approach. Powers were discrete effects much like spells, but you had a core power in each discipline so every telepath was able to communicate telepathically. Also the mechanics of execution and use were definitely unlike spells, requiring stat rolls and power point mechanics definitely not mirrored from spell slots.

Yora

Legend
3.5e psionics are the best magic system ever to be found in any D&D books, so I would more of that. Even normal magic should be like that!

You should have to purchase a deck of cards and shuffle them, drawing a hand to see what powers are available each turn. All the cards consist of stars, circles, crosses, and wavy lines.

Your psychic powers require you to guess a number, then roll a die. If you guess the die roll, your power hits.

Telepaths will have a power called "Sorry GM, I don't want to play a mystery adventure."

Last edited:

slobo777

First Post
I liked the direction 4E moved in - Psionics was effectively another style of magic, and shared a lot of the basic rules. It was just different enough to feel different, but there was only a little additional mechanics required.

I also prefer, fluff-wise, the psionics-as-willpower-magic as opposed to the psionics-as-talents/disciplines (which, due to my age, puts me in mind of 70's sci-fi and not fantasy). I quite liked Rolemaster's take on that, and 4E's power sources with psionics being one of a set, sat well with me for the same reason.

Something similar to 2e/3e would be good, providing an alternate spell casting system for those uninterested in Vancian casting. It's nice alternate mechanic.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I suggest that Psionic powers should be entirely at-will effects that can be enhanced through power points. Enhancements are chosen like rogue talents as you gain levels.

For example, Telekinesis can move small objects freely. By spending power points, you can move heavy objects or fling objects as weapons. Higher level enhancements include flight and short range teleportation.

Power points could be a daily resource, but I'm thinking they might be best as a per round resource, much like the Fighter's Combat Superiority.

Someone

Adventurer
I suggest that Psionic powers should be entirely at-will effects that can be enhanced through power points. Enhancements are chosen like rogue talents as you gain levels.

For example, Telekinesis can move small objects freely. By spending power points, you can move heavy objects or fling objects as weapons. Higher level enhancements include flight and short range teleportation.

Power points could be a daily resource, but I'm thinking they might be best as a per round resource, much like the Fighter's Combat Superiority.

I'm in fact doing something very similar purely for fun, after I created the thread. I'll post here a draft as soon I'm finished.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases