D&D 5E Psionics in a sci-fi D&D

How would you do it?

• Reskin magic

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • Totally new system

Votes: 85 64.9%

Heh, it's interesting how different folks want different things. That bolded part is the part I would like to avoid.
Yeah. I can understand.

For RPGs I tend to really love system that have a small (medium) devoted fanbase, but not top of the market - and play them for decades. I played HERO as my primary system 30+ years, and now I'm into Cypher and I have a feeling it will be the same.

I've always liked one flavor or another of D&D, as it was my first RPG, so there is serious nostolgia for it, even if the rules shift a lot.

I voted a new system, but I do think there may be a middle ground between "reskin" and "new system"

Every class has their differences. Wizards have spellbooks. Sorcerers have a limited selection of innate spells. Warlocks have a collection of at-will abilities, etc. These all exist to give each class their own purpose and flavor.

I feel that Psionics, at the very least, deserves it's own class(es), purpose and flavor as well. Necessity might demand that you simply reskin (Magic missile is "psychic bolts" or whatever) but that has to do with a lack of published material. I don't see why psionics isn't a topic strong enough to hold it's own class. And if it has it's own class, I don't see why it couldn't also function in a unique way, like a Warlock does.

How unique does it have to be, though? Does it need a bunch of crazy new subsystems and reinvent the wheel everywhere it goes? Well, no, but it needs to be unique enough to support the concept of "psionic."

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I voted a new system, but I do think there may be a middle ground between "reskin" and "new system"

Every class has their differences. Wizards have spellbooks. Sorcerers have a limited selection of innate spells. Warlocks have a collection of at-will abilities, etc. These all exist to give each class their own purpose and flavor.

I feel that Psionics, at the very least, deserves it's own class(es), purpose and flavor as well. Necessity might demand that you simply reskin (Magic missile is "psychic bolts" or whatever) but that has to do with a lack of published material. I don't see why psionics isn't a topic strong enough to hold it's own class. And if it has it's own class, I don't see why it couldn't also function in a unique way, like a Warlock does.

How unique does it have to be, though? Does it need a bunch of crazy new subsystems and reinvent the wheel everywhere it goes? Well, no, but it needs to be unique enough to support the concept of "psionic."
I can see that. After all, artificer got to be it's own class, and it has far less history than psionics.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I liked Psionics in 3.5E. So--without any research or looking into it whatsoever--I would like to Psionics in 5E use spell points.

Hussar

Legend
I can see that. After all, artificer got to be it's own class, and it has far less history than psionics.
But, again, the Artificer doesn't have any unique mechanics. It's simply repurposing existing mechanics into a different package. Heck, it didn't even get a new magic system - just spells again.

So, if that's the bar - repurpose existing mechanics into a new package at the same level as the artificer, then I'm all for it.

I wonder if maybe that's one of the bigger tripping points. People keep talking about the need for a new system, but, how new does it need to be? The existing magic system deals with warlocks, artificers and then full body casters pretty well. How hard would it be to tweak to fit psionics?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, if there's one thing I would want to avoid in a psionics mechanic it's the existence of a generalist. A pyrokinetic is not a telekinetic is not a telepath is not a biokinetic, and so on.

Well you can be a generalist. But you'd go crazy from having too much in your head and become an NPC.
That's the other trope. If you do get a bunch of psionic powers, you go mad, feral, and shutdown.

But, again, the Artificer doesn't have any unique mechanics. It's simply repurposing existing mechanics into a different package. Heck, it didn't even get a new magic system - just spells again.

So, if that's the bar - repurpose existing mechanics into a new package at the same level as the artificer, then I'm all for it.

I wonder if maybe that's one of the bigger tripping points. People keep talking about the need for a new system, but, how new does it need to be? The existing magic system deals with warlocks, artificers and then full body casters pretty well. How hard would it be to tweak to fit psionics?
How hard? Depends.

Artificers, warlocks, and sorcerer "worked" by nerfing their spell lists to hell and boosting what's left or what is added. The spells and features they share with the general casters are still about the same power.

What do you take away and add with psionics in the spell system without making a broken character? Traditionally psionics has some powerful stuff and you use the psionics system as the limitation. If you port them over wholely, whoever gets them will have very powerfull spells. If you use what exists, you then have to invent what is psionics's gimmick mechancis.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Well you can be a generalist. But you'd go crazy from having too much in your head and become an NPC.
That's the other trope. If you do get a bunch of psionic powers, you go mad, feral, and shutdown.

How hard? Depends.

Artificers, warlocks, and sorcerer "worked" by nerfing their spell lists to hell and boosting what's left or what is added. The spells and features they share with the general casters are still about the same power.

What do you take away and add with psionics in the spell system without making a broken character? Traditionally psionics has some powerful stuff and you use the psionics system as the limitation. If you port them over wholely, whoever gets them will have very powerfull spells. If you use what exists, you then have to invent what is psionics's gimmick mechancis.
the ability to be hyper generalised has ruined the 5e wizards you get too many optimums for certain things and it is horrible to have to pick otherwise they all end up feeling pretty samey.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases