How would you do it?

• Reskin magic

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • Totally new system

Votes: 85 64.9%

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
But in a scifi near-future setting, a wetware brain implant is moreorless equivalent to a gaining an Aberrant bloodline.

If the assumption is that normal humans dont do psionic effects, there is an augmentation that somehow makes it possible.

Flavor is flavor It's subjective ultimately.

My issue is that the Aberrant Mind Sorcerer is howit plays. It doesn't play like many psychic adventurous types because of the D&D baggage to create base 5th edition Wizard and Sorcerer.
I can picture Prof X as a 5e Warlock mechanical chassis with its at-will, per-rest, and daily spells.

I dont see the problem.

If it would any class I used to do psionics it would be Monks. Warlocks... just don't have enough spells slots

You're telling me my psychic can only do TWO Force Pushes, Biotic Crashes, Mind Flays, Object Reads, Ecto Summons, or ESPs before tiring out. At level 10!

But sure, Psion could be its own class. I don't think these is a huge opposition to that. What I oppose is designing some bizarre parallel magic system for one class.
4 classes. My space fantasy hack setting game has 4 sci fi magic classes and 4 sci fi psychic classes. The nanomonk's cyberpathy is OP and in revision stage.

I'd do 3-5 classes for a parallel system.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Flavor is flavor It's subjective ultimately.

My issue is that the Aberrant Mind Sorcerer is howit plays. It doesn't play like many psychic adventurous types because of the D&D baggage to create base 5th edition Wizard and Sorcerer.

If it would any class I used to do psionics it would be Monks. Warlocks... just don't have enough spells slots

You're telling me my psychic can only do TWO Force Pushes, Biotic Crashes, Mind Flays, Object Reads, Ecto Summons, or ESPs before tiring out. At level 10!

4 classes. My space fantasy hack setting game has 4 sci fi magic classes and 4 sci fi psychic classes. The nanomonk's cyberpathy is OP and in revision stage.

There's a great piece of homebrew I found on Reddit for a jedi monk subclass. Threaded the needle as far as I'm concerned.

because of the D&D baggage
D&D is D&D and does things in D&D way. If you don't like it, play something else. If I wouldn't like D&D combat system, I wouldn't try to create new classes that use some parallel combat system that works differently.

Eww. No. I greatly dislike class bloat.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
D&D is D&D and does things in D&D way. If you don't like it, play something else. If I wouldn't like D&D combat system, I wouldn't try to create new classes that use some parallel combat system that works differently.

Of course, one could argue just as easily that you could ignore any new classes you don't like. I dont see how "bloat" effects people when you can ignore it.

Greg K

Legend
Definitely a new system rather than a reskin of magic and/or the 1st-9th spell level set up. Personally, the only D&D/d20/d20M mechanic that I have liked was the mechanics in Green Ronin's Psychic's Handbook.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It's not D&D.

It all comes down to the Wizard. The favoritism of the Wizard is why the Sorcerer nd Warlock are too nerfed in versatilty and stamina to replicate psychics in D&D well.

I was trying to not outright say "It's all the Wizard Favoritism's fault" but if'n it wasn't for thewizard favoritism, this question might not need to be asked.

Class bloat isn't a factor if you can replicate the themes you want.
Adding 4 more good classes is better than adding 1 broken class or breaking an existing one.

It's not D&D.

It all comes down to the Wizard. The favoritism of the Wizard is why the Sorcerer nd Warlock are too nerfed in versatilty and stamina to replicate psychics in D&D well.

I was trying to not outright say "It's all the Wizard Favoritism's fault" but if'n it wasn't for thewizard favoritism, this question might not need to be asked.
Oh. I see. That thing. You hate wizards so much you want to design an entire parallel magic system that is not tainted by wizards. Ok...
But I actually agree that there is an issue with warlock and sorcerer, just not what the cause is.

Class bloat isn't a factor if you can replicate the themes you want.
Adding 4 more good classes is better than adding 1 broken class or breaking an existing one.
Class bloat leads to thematically an mechanically too thin classes. Like the Sorcerer and Warlock. If you combined them to one, the resulting class would be thematically stronger and mechanically more flexible. And I really don't want 4e style bizarre grid filling with thematically hollow and mechanically inflexible single purpose classes.

Yaarel

He Mage
If it would any class I used to do psionics it would be Monks. Warlocks... just don't have enough spells slots.
It is extremely important to me that the Psion is a fullcaster, with spells like Wish (mind-over-matter), Foresight, and other powerful spells at high levels.

A Monk would be unthinkable for me.

I dont mind the Monk having a psionic subclass − it should! But it could never be the Psion in my eyes.

The Warlock chassis, gives the Psion powerful at-will effects (≈ invocations) in order to have 10,000 force-pushes per day.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I could see using either the monk or warlock structure for a psychic. You could make them similar to 4e where the at-will power can be enhanced to perform more powerful effects, either through a psionic charge (spell slot) or psi strength points ( kind points). You could even combine the two since I do like the thought of having psychic devotions (invocations) as well as a psi strength points to allow a variable amount of power to be put into their at-wills.

Remove ads