How would you do it?

• Reskin magic

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • Totally new system

Votes: 85 64.9%

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I firmly feel that only by making psionics feel different can you do them justice.

If it's just magic, then what's the point of having psionics be it's own thing rather than just having a sorcerer class on a starship? Why roll up a Psion if you've got Wizard and Warlock right there, if the only difference is in how things are described?

It needs some depth. Some unique elements to make it different than just playing a mind-wizard. Otherwise just make a mind-wizard subclass for wizards and save yourself the time and effort, y'know?

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
In a setting where arcane magic explicitly doesn't exist but psionic power does, you can use whatever mechanics you please—including reskinned Vancian magic, which works just fine. If both need to coexist, I personally prefer that the mechanics be distinct in some way—at least as distinct as 3rd edition's slot-based magic vs. point-based psionics. Drifting further away from that model (such as AD&D psionics, or letting 3e D&D magic exist alongside some version of d20 System Jedi powers) improves the "feel" but becomes considerably harder to balance…

darjr

I crit!
I'd prefer psionics to fit into the Physics of the world as best as possible. Not be some kind of magic.

does that make sense?

Maybe still unexplained how it works at a fundamental level, but it works by manipulation of real world physics. More like Traveller then like Call of Cthulhu.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
(Not interested in “D&D doesn’t fit sci-fi responses)

Assuming you accept the premise, would you prefer psionics to be magic reskinned or a totally new system?

Is it electromagnetic/brain wave/science or is it spirits/far realms/mysterious?

The former feels worth a new system. (Does a metal hairnet block it? Does it interact with magnetic fields? What does an fMRI show of the user/target?).

The later feels like a type of magic to me.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I would want a completely non-magic system. Psionics, as NOT spells, could not be countered or dispelled, etc.

Powers would not be "spells", and I would strive to keep them as far in effect from magic as possible.

Finally, I would remove many spells that IMO really should be iconic psionic powers.

I know many people might not like that idea, but oh well. :)

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Is it electromagnetic/brain wave/science or is it spirits/far realms/mysterious?

The former feels worth a new system. (Does a metal hairnet block it? does it interact with magnetic fields? What does an fMRI show of the user/target?).

The later feels like a type of magic to me.
This. If it is something like Rolemaster's realm of mentalism or PF1e occult classes, then it is a type of magic, but if it is pseudo-scientific like psionics in AD&D 1e, then I prefer a specific rule system.

Remove ads