• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Psionics in Tasha

Weiley31

Legend
I'm just hoping that, even if Psionics are spells, there is at least maybe one variant rule that allows something a bit different, like the last Psionics UA.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I think it's more along the lines of each prime plane/world has it's own magic source. Mystra is the one for Faerun, and not even the only one since Shar has the Dark Weave. The outer planes have their own sources and I doubt that source is a god.

And if this were true, one of two things would be true.

1) All planes of existence would have magic working differently. They do not, so this is not true.

2) All of the "sources" of magic would have to get together and agree to present magic in a unified manner, that works consistently between the planes. Meaning that they would have had to change to match the "new normal" of the Spell Plague after Mystra's death, because that altered magic across all planes of reality (ie, the game system changed) and therefore they must have had to meet and agree,

Also, considering how important Mystra is, I'm sure the "source of all magic for the Abyss" or 'the source of all magic for the Hells" would be mentioned... somewhere.

So, is there a third-party alternative psionics system available yet? This looks like an opportunity for someone to do what Dreamscarred Press did for Pathfinder 1e...

There are a few. I'm a fan of Kibbletasty's psion. Actually playing one right now, built to deal te maximum amount of damage, and it feels pretty close to the bar, I'm not OP by any stretch.

Read that section. The rule is, no "weave" = no magic. That's crunch and is spelled out in that box.

And you have to put that in quotes. Why? Because The Weave was created by Mystra in the Forgotten Realms. No Mystra, no Weave. No magic in any setting that does not recognize Mystra as existing.

So, you have to say "weave" to represent Magic. And that makes your statement "No Magic = No Magic" a tautology. You are just saying the same thing twice.

The Weave is a setting detail.
"the weave" is just a convenient model to talk about magic.

Then whether it was a conscious decision or not, you replaced the weave with something else. That's the only way per RAW that magic can continue to work.

Dude. No.

Guess what, I can make a world without any weave, and still say magic works. Unless you mean "weave" as in "source of magic" or "magical energy" in which case, yes, You need magic to have magic.

But claiming people who don't use the weave are subconsciously replacing it because the rules require the weave is just not how things work. Ever.

Weiley31

Legend
Hi,

Big fan of psionics here (loved the Dragon Magazine Psioncist "NPC" class). On your "psionics don't have components" stand, isn't it fairly common in literature to see either Mantras (Dune) or Focuses (I am thinking the cubes from Katherine Kurtz's work) that are either required or at least help pull off the psionic powers that are used?

Even if WOTC developed a full sub-system with specific classes, I would not be surprised if there were not some type of requirements along those lines.

Hope this is not too much of a sidebar discussion, just wanted to ask.
Psi-Crystals are a thing/focus. The new Icewind Dale book even have a Psi-Crystal. (nice little forshadowing for Tasha's).

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I'm thinking of removing all full-spellcasters and instead replacing them with the magic-user which has access to all spells in the game. The subclasses then define them so you can have a white mage (healer), black mage (necromancer and summoner), elementalist, druid, etc. They can access all spells (though I'm thinking of restricting some spells depending on subclass chosen) but will be better with some spells over others.

I've always been a fan of color mages where each color gets an exclusive pool of spells that the others don't get.

White, Black Red Blue Green Yellow Purple Brown

Fear the Purple Mage.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I want to play a character who dedicates themselves to a high powered being, who in return for me doing their bidding grants me magical abilities.

Am I describing WARLOCK or CLERIC?

I think there is a very fundamental gap between the Cleric/Paladin and the Warlock.

And to be fair, that is a very vague statement. Since it also describes Barbarians (Totem, Zealot, and maybe even Storm. Could fit Ancestral in their if you want to view your ancestors as a gestalt)

Actually, if my rogue, fighter, or wizard ends up getting magical spells from an older wizard they work for, does that count too?

And sure, we can find common ground between Clerics and Warlocks, but common ground exists between Fighters and Paladins and Rangers and Barbarians too, that doesn't mean they are the same.

Weiley31

Legend
Never saw it, what did you like about it?
Basically, if you spent Sorcery Points, or was it Willpower, you started taking on aspects of your Bloodline. So the more Sorcery Points you spent, I believe you got more bonuses. And said bonuses would last for a day. The Draconic Bloodline(the only example of the NEXT Sorcerer) made you more of a Gish that seemed to get the Gish idea down pat.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Basically, if you spent Sorcery Points, or was it Willpower, you started taking on aspects of your Bloodline. So the more Sorcery Points you spent, I believe you got more bonuses. And said bonuses would last for a day. The Draconic Bloodline(the only example of the NEXT Sorcerer) made you more of a Gish that seemed to get the Gish idea down pat.
So, something like you could spend sorcery points to bump your AC from Draconic Bloodline?

Remove ads