D&D 5E Psionics in Tasha

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
What I think would be a lot of fun would be a game where everyone played completely non-medical classes. During game play they might come across a grimoire that one understood and learned, granted the knowledge to cast Magic Missile 3xday. Another might find the holy relic of Lathander that while attuned, gives the ability to cast Light 3xday and Cure Wounds 1xday.

By limiting magic that way, you could even give some spells that are above where party level would otherwise have access. Since the PC isn't dropping spells as often, being able to cast a 4th level spell 1xweek at 5th level isn't game breaking. It could be very fun.
That's exactly the kind of play I'm going for. Much more like a Talisman or a HeroQuest, just more freeform.

Mmmm. I wouldn't agree with that. It's far away from current D&D, with the whole "chargen minigame."

But it's not far, at all, from OD&D and early AD&D / B/X.
I’ve played all those games. We enjoyed the classes and what they had to offer and not once did we dream of a different game with only two classes.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I’ve played all those games. We enjoyed the classes and what they had to offer and not once did we dream of a different game with only two classes.
Personally, I don't know if I would want to do it strictly "classless"; I like the idea of having several classes, each with maybe one unique mechanic and some variation in starting gear and attributes. Like a super background. The important thing is that they have no built in "casting" progression and indeed, no actual progression features other than HP and proficiency bonus. Everything must be earned through events in play, not XP gain.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I'll say one thing

I am not surprised "Psionics as
Spells" is coming out in TCOE, a book with options that could sell itself on its own.

Not even a Season 8 Game of Thrones rules could drag this book down.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Sure, but it is how it works by RAW. How do you do magic if there's no interface between the PCs and wherever magic comes from?
Not everything requires an "interface".

This whole thing is bizarre. Prior to this sidebar in the 5e PHB, no setting other than the Forgotten Realms had a "Weave" or an analogous concept. What this sidebar does is retcon an FRism into other established settings. It's unnecessary nonsense that will only annoy existing fans of other settings.

It's also an interesting thing to think about within the context of the FR itself—outside of Faerun, the goddess Mystra isn't worshiped, acknowledged, or even known about and magic works differently (see wu jen in Kara-Tur and Sha'ir in Zakhara). So, does this weave affect them, and when Mystra gets kacked as she is prone to do, does that affect their magic as well? Did the Time of Troubles, the Spellplague, and whatever else affect the magic of these cultures where Mystra is unknown and not worshiped? If it does, then why is she unknown, not acknowledged, and/or not worshiped—if her influence on magic is so ubiquitous then why isn't the knowledge and worship of her equally ubiquitous? Is this even addressed with the FR sourcebooks?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Not everything requires an "interface".

This whole thing is bizarre. Prior to this sidebar in the 5e PHB, no setting other than the Forgotten Realms had a "Weave" or an analogous concept. What this sidebar does is retcon an FRism into other established settings. It's unnecessary nonsense that will only annoy existing fans of other settings.

It's also an interesting thing to think about within the context of the FR itself—outside of Faerun, the goddess Mystra isn't worshiped, acknowledged, or even known about and magic works differently (see wu jen in Kara-Tur and Sha'ir in Zakhara). So, does this weave affect them, and when Mystra gets kacked as she is prone to do, does that affect their magic as well? Did the Time of Troubles, the Spellplague, and whatever else affect the magic of these cultures where Mystra is unknown and not worshiped? If it does, then why is she unknown, not acknowledged, and/or not worshiped—if her influence on magic is so ubiquitous then why isn't the knowledge and worship of her equally ubiquitous? Is this even addressed with the FR sourcebooks?
You arent entirely accurate. Krynn had the three moons that represented the gods of magic, and those controlled how magic worked in that setting, so at least one other setting has a "weave." Dark Sun also has a different interface, resulting in Defiling magic for that setting. I don't think it has a name, but it too has some form of "weave."

As for the Time of Troubles questions, everyone on Toril was affected. And as for why Kara-Tur doesn't know her, who says that they don't. The god/goddess of magic in that area might just be an aspect of Mystra or vice versa.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases