• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psychic Monk

Ian O'Rourke

First Post
I like the idea of playing a Psychic Monk - sort of the fantasy equivalent of a Jedi suppose (though in the best possibly way I assure you). An order of monks spiritual in nature with powers of the mind. They use no weapons,etc, just rely on the strength of the body and the mind.

How could this be done? Monk and Psychic Warrior multiclass is one possibility (but results in a lot of fighter stuff I do not need)? Or what about a Monk and full Psychic multi-class?

Is it a new class I need to design? I don't have the Psionics book in front of me, but from memory my concept may get away with access to psychic feats (more like the psychic warrior) than full on access to the psychic powers?

Spatzimaus

First Post
Psychic Warriors make nice pseudoMonks already, IF you include the Mind's Eye materials from the WotC website. You don't even need to multiclass. Use a Feat for Improved Unarmed Attack, take some Speed of Thought, and use some psychometabolism powers.

The reason you need the Mind's Eye stuff is for the Metaphysical Body line of powers (they give enhancement bonuses to your unarmed attacks). Also, the Diamond Warrior/Mindknight PrCs are important.

If you search through the House Rules forum, though, there were many different psionic Monk variant classes proposed back in December.

gfunk

First Post
There was a PrC in Dragon called the Zerth Cenobite -- basically only monks qualify. It is based on the teachings of a Githzerai monk who use precognition to peer seconds into the future. This gives them some nice combat advantages.

Well, the problem with monk/Psi war hybrid is the BAB. You'll basically end up slightly better then a wizard. As a fighter, your going to suck and as a spell caster your going to suck. You'd probably be better off going Monk/Psi or Fighter/Psi or just a Psi War. (they are pretty cool if you can use expanded powers list from mind's eye or some of the splat books). Psi Warriors get a lot of cool psi feats (mental armor, better speed, psi bonus to damage, combat attacks as touch attacks). Last time I played a Psi Warrior I took the spring attack feat along with the extended reach power, burst, and spring. End result, great speed like a jedi, ability to jump small buildings (with mental leap and spring (spring came from the dark sun online campaign setting)), and almost untouchable in combat because of the extra reach. He was pretty cool to play around with in combat.

Of course, Monk/Psi War is pretty cool if you don't care about your combat power.

Korin Tempest

First Post
check out the diamond warrior in the Mind's Eye section of wotc's official D&D website.. they're psychic monks, and they have higher b.a.b. when they fight unarmed... should be what you're looking for.. check out the other prestige classes there as well, you may find others you like..

Get no more than 5 or 6 levels of PsiWar. You'll want the Speed of Though path, because they really add up with your high speed, besides, a monk pulling backflips off the ceiling and running up castle walls is just so incredibly cool. I don't have my books with me, so no exact information, but the best powers you can take are Claws of the Bear and Claws of the Vampire. Both increase your unarmed base damage, so they stack with your monk's special abilities.

How do you like dealing 1d20 damage at 7th level

If your in for straight power, then do 1/x multiclassing. Take just one level of Monk and go with a PsiWar using the Claws, you get more versatility in you powers, and with a Monk's Belt you get Haste, Ambidexterity, and TWF, which you can use with your Doudimensional Claws of the Bear, for a more PsiWarrior feel, or go straight Monk with Skin of the Bear.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Personally, I think Monk 1 (or 2)/PsyWar 6, and then any Prestige Class you can build to from that is your best bet. You're better off using psionic prestige classes-- my favorite is the Diamond Warrior. You can also slide into Monk prestige classes pretty easily, too.

Remove ads