• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Publishers: Why'd you name your company what you did?

PlotDevice

First Post
HinterWelt said:
HinterWelt from Nietzsche nihilist philosophy. I considered Zarathustra but my partners said it was too obscure.

Bill

So. Cool.

I think Zarathustra is even cooler, but yields too many bad jokes. who spake these rules, anyhow?

PS I have been saying 'the the' in my head for so long, I am so glad it is a Was not Was kind of thing. I love this thread.

PPS Been a while since I encountered that binary joke. Gave me a chuckle again. :D

Despite everyone with any business sense telling me that I should use "Monte Cook games" or something like that, I went the far geekier route and named our company after the D&D character I played when I was 15 years old. I was mainly going for that kind of nostalgic, love-of-the-game vibe.

I have since heard from the Canadian heavy metal band Malhavoc, and plenty of people who remember an old Superfriends villain with the name. Oh well. I suppose it's all part of that same guy-with-an-ominous-but-kinda-silly-name vibe at least.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
:)

I'm a friend of the leader of the band Malhavoc. I wouldn't classify it as Heavy Metal (well, not since the first album), the lead man works as a trance DJ and a lot of that has made it into his music. If you like dark ambient and dark trance music, I could send over one of his more recent releases.

guildofblades

First Post
Well, back in 1994, the Guild of Blades began as several of us gamer buddies looking to start a local gaming club. To push that along, we decided to publish a local gaming club zine (for which only one issue was ever published) and we needed a name to slap on it and our group. Several of us were actively into martial arts dojos at the time and enjoyed sparing with certain weapons. Ok, staff more than with swords, build there was simply no ring to Guild of Staves. :) So we went with Guild of Blades, then tacked on Publishing Group a couple of years later when we published our first game.

Ryan S. Johnson
Guild of Blades Publishing Group
http://www.guildofblades.com

IDA_Guy

First Post
I don't recall the exact naming reason. Suffice it to say that someone came up with a bright IDeA and we kinda ran with it.

We've been running for years ever since. I figured I've already got a convention named after me, I don't need a game company named that way. I kid, I kid.....except about the convention part. :D

Jraynack

Explorer
We considered a slew of names when we first started. Cameron came up with Alea Publishing - Alea is latin for "dice games" or "throwin' dice" - But there was already Alea Publishing (they publish sheet music), so we simple became Alea Publishing Group (APG).

By the way, we are still looking for a name for our campaign - something that portrays a dark, medieval feel - where people might be afraid of inquisitors more than viscious orc tribes - any suggestions?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads