D&D (2024) Pulse check on 1D&D excitement level

What is your level of excitement for 1D&D?

• Very High - I love the direction 1D&D is going, the playtest will only make it better

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • High - Mostly the right direction and feels like the playtest will result in a product I like

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • Meh - It's different, but not exciting, let's see where it goes from here

Votes: 85 35.9%
  • Low - Mostly the wrong direction for me, but hopeful the playtest will improve it

Votes: 22 9.3%
  • Very Low - Mostly the wrong direction for me, and doubtful the playtest will improve it

Votes: 66 27.8%

• Poll closed .

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
There's still sub-classes.

But overall, I expect D&D will be the entry way to tabletop games. Meaning it needs to error on simple.

I recommend Pathfinder 2 for anyone looking for a bit more mechanical variety.
My recommendation would lean towards Level Up, but sure.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
You can add battle master to a champion
You can not add champion to a battle master

So the core class needs to be simple. Especially for PHB classes where people start.
The PHB can have

1. A Simple Warrior Class
  2. A Simple Caster Class
  3. A Simple Expert Class
  4. A Complex Warrior Class
  5. A Complex Caster Class
  6. A Complex Expert Class
Only personal preference prevents this.

It's litterally the best path as the opener game. Simple Classes of all types for beginners. Complex Classes of all types for veterans.

Micah Sweet

The PHB can have

1. A Simple Warrior Class
  2. A Simple Caster Class
  3. A Simple Expert Class
  4. A Complex Warrior Class
  5. A Complex Caster Class
  6. A Complex Expert Class
Only personal preference prevents this.

It's litterally the best path as the opener game. Simple Classes of all types for beginners. Complex Classes of all types for veterans.
Except they've already explained what classes are in the new edition's PHB, and it's the same set as the previous one. They're not even willing to add the artificer in, and I doubt it's the least popular WotC class out there.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Except they've already explained what classes are in the new edition's PHB, and it's the same set as the previous one. They're not even willing to add the artificer in, and I doubt it's the least popular WotC class out there.
That's my point.

Sticking to their past preferences makes developing the edition ten times harder (Aardlings, Wildshape, Paladins, Fighters, Rogues, Bards, Monsters, Feats, etc). Sapping excitement in the process.

Last edited:

Arilyn

Hero
My new players have a tendency to go straight for the most complex.😂 It's fine. I'd rather they be excited with their more complex characters than bored with "suggested" starting classes. This is 100% just my experience, as I'm sure there are plenty of players wanting to keep things simple.

Micah Sweet

My new players have a tendency to go straight for the most complex.😂 It's fine. I'd rather they be excited with their more complex characters than bored with "suggested" starting classes. This is 100% just my experience, as I'm sure there are plenty of players wanting to keep things simple.
I would actually love to meet these players that want the game to keep getting simpler and simpler. I don't know any, personally.

G

Guest 7034872

asembroff%20unit%202%20horizontal.jpg

I would actually love to meet these players that want the game to keep getting simpler and simpler. I don't know any, personally.
clears throat
Good evening, and welcome to the "D&D should go back to the complexity level of B/X"-club.
No, we are not the "Bring back race-as-class"- or "Checks should be rolled with 2d6 just as Dave intended"-club, but we're friends with them. They meet in the same place, but on Wednesday and Friday evening respectively.
;)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Well B/X still had a complex wizard class.

The core issue with the lack of excitement is due to the designers creating the bounds for 5e with the preferences of grognards in mind and enforcing the same bounds for OneD&D despite the majority of 5e players not being grognards.

They are still trying to make 2.75e or 3.95e for sale to 5e players and not 5.5e.

Remove ads