D&D 5E Pure Preference Poll: Class Choice

What class do you just want to play the most?

• Barbarian

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Bard

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • Cleric

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Druid

• Fighter

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Monk

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Paladin

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • Ranger

• Rogue

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Warlock

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • Wizard

Votes: 18 18.0%

• Poll closed .

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I like playing wizards, they are without a doubt my favourite class and this tends to extend into any RPG where I will usually pick the magic-user first and foremost. I prefer wizards to sorcerers (in any edition which included both) due to them being the ones who,through learning and knowledge, are breaking through the barriers of reality through research, figuring out the individual secrets of the multiverse as opposed to the inborn power of sorcerers.

Shiroiken

Legend
I like magic. Always have, and always will. Thus, the wizard will always be my truest class, even if I really haven't played one yet in 5E...

ccs

41st lv DM
I said Warlock as I have soo many different character ideas for this class.

But really? Anything but a Sorcerer.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Well, I've gotten my chance to do just that, and I chose to play an Eldritch Knight (and I'm enjoying it). I'm looking to play a druid next.

SmokingSkull

First Post
Fighter. I may have my irks about the way it's presented in 5E but at the end of the day it's what I like. Second choice would be either a Barbarian, Paladin or Ranger depending on concept.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Druid. I can't say that the base role/identity moves me significantly more than that of other classes (rolewise, I'm more of a wizard guy), but the spell list just has so many fun little tricks.

Waterbizkit

Explorer
This is an evil question. I've been my groups defacto DM for a long time now so actually getting to play as a player is something that hasn't happened in almost twenty years.

That said, I'm coming up with character ideas all the time, almost like a way to keep my mind preoccupied when I've got nothing else, so the answer to the question changes with the wind. I like to let the ideas come up organically, which is really just a stupid way of saying that I try not to concern myself too much with the initial inspiration being mechanical or narrative. Sometimes I get really interested in some bit of crunch and how it functions or meshes with something from another class and then weave the characters personality around that. Just as often though I'll have an idea that starts out with a personality trait, a background or even just a cool name and figure out the class down the line when it comes time to cross that bridge. It's fun for me, even if I never get to play these characters and I've got a folder on my computer loaded with pdf character sheets from concepts I've had over time.

Still, none of that answers the question so I'll have to pick. Currently my obsession is with creating a sorcerer, specifically a favored soul. I've always enjoyed playing support classes, specifically I play a lot of clerics back when I played anything. 5E has plenty to pick from in this department, I especially like Lore Bards, but the sorcerer has always been an interesting, if a bit niche, pick for this sort of role thanks to twin spell metamagic.

Twinning buff spells doesn't seem like a big deal, not to most people I think, but I think it's awesome. When you hit level five and every other caster is drooling over their fireballs, lightning bolts and spirit guardians I feel like nothing would put a bigger grin on my face than twinning a haste spell and letting the party's real damage dealers do even more. Now add to that the extra little bit of utility added to the favored soul by giving me access to the entire clerics spell list, and I'm good to go. I've even toyed with the idea of this fella multiclassing into the newer celestial warlock pact because it's thematic and opens up a couple of new avenues mechanically too.

So anyway, longer post than I was planning on. Right here, right now, that's the character I'd make if I were going to roll one up today. Tomorrow? That's a different kettle of fish.

Last edited:

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
A ranking list of my preference, should I get to play:

Tier 1: Preferred play choices
Bard (voted for), Barbarian, Paladin

Tier 2: Will happily play
Fighter, Rogue

Tier 3: I suppose someone has to play it
Wizard, Cleric, Druid

Tier 4: Hold my nose
Ranger, Sorcerer