• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Push, Pull, Slide... can you change directions?

Reaper Steve

Explorer
I've always assumed that any push/pull/slide (PSS) movement of two squares or more must continue in the same direction as the initial movement. But after a player wanted to slide a target 4 squares in a circle around him, I'm rethinking that assumption.

Can you indeed change directions during a PSS (as long as you honor any specific requirements?)
-Can a Push 2 move the first square diagonally right away and the second square diagonally left away?
-Can a Pull 2 move the first square diagonally right toward and the second diagonally left toward?
-Can a slide move to any adjacent square in any direction for each subsequent square?

I don't have much issue with the pushes or pulls, but sliding a target in circles or around a corner or something similar seems strange.

Thoughts?

Eremis

First Post
A pull must bring it closer to you
A push must place it farther from you
A slide has no restriction on the direction you can move it.

You must have line of effect to any square you pull, push, or slide.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
A pull must bring it closer to you
A push must place it farther from you
A slide has no restriction on the direction you can move it.

You must have line of effect to any square you pull, push, or slide.

Welcome!

Yep, read all that. I just never really considered changing directions until a player did it.

But... my one reservation in interpreting the rule is the slide line you quoted states "no restriction on the direction..." (not directions) So, I think a valid interpretation may be that subsequent squares of a slide have to be in the same direction as the initial one.

I'm not necessarily endorsing that interpretation, but that was my initial assumption.

Danceofmasks

First Post
Welcome!

Yep, read all that. I just never really considered changing directions until a player did it.

But... my one reservation in interpreting the rule is the slide line you quoted states "no restriction on the direction..." (not directions) So, I think a valid interpretation may be that subsequent squares of a slide have to be in the same direction as the initial one.

I'm not necessarily endorsing that interpretation, but that was my initial assumption.

Ah, but it's in the same section wherein push and pull restrictions are described, and those restrictions apply to each square of movement.
Now, if sliding restriction (or lack thereof) also applies to each square of movement, one square of movement can't have multiple directions.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Ah, but it's in the same section wherein push and pull restrictions are described, and those restrictions apply to each square of movement.
Now, if sliding restriction (or lack thereof) also applies to each square of movement, one square of movement can't have multiple directions.

Good point.

Fortunately for me and my players, I did allow the circling slide. A quick glance at the rulebook did not give me any reason to disallow it. The situation actually caused me to realize that how I assumed the rule worked probably wasn't how it was intended. I'm glad I play for fun, say 'yes' when in doubt, am willing to challenge my assumptions, and know a great board to talk about rules!;)

Bagpuss

Legend
I can imagine a character grabbing an opponent and swinging him around or a series of thrusts to one side forcing the opponent to keep circling.

Goblyns Hoard

First Post
I think that it could also be open to interpretation based on the power in question. With those that are force push effects, e.g. Thunderwave, I think I'd rule that you can't go change the direction dramatically. That doesn't mean no change of direction, so back one square then diagonally back a second square would be fine but back left then back right (to go around an obstacle) I might say no - to keep a bit of verisimilitude. However a fighter push back like tide of iron (I know it only pushes one square - I'm not sure if there are other 'push further' powers like it, I'm just talking about the feel of the power based on the small number that I know) I would allow it, as the fighter is moving with the enemy, forcing him back as he goes.

And with slide powers I would keep the same approach - if the style/intent of the power is repositioning yourself/allies/enemies on the battlefield then absolutely you can change directions. If the magic is not just a thunderwave type blast then also fine. I guess basically if the power feels like it's an effect coming from a static point of origin generating a single thrust then I might limit the target to a single trajectory, otherwise feel free to change directions as you see fit.

Danceofmasks

First Post
Just so long as you don't even think of ruling that way during a tournament.
'cos that's the sort of thing that'll get your table hung up as the head judge gets called over.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads