• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Putting a PC on 'pause'

carpedavid

First Post
I'll second the idea that playing a hummingbird PC would be great. Getting turned into one would be shocking at first, certainly, but with a bit of indulgance from the DM, it could also be a very fun experience.

As far as communication goes, since hummingbirds can hover, and are very maneuverable, he could always trace out messages in the air to the other players. A simple intelligence check on the part of the other PCs should allow them to decipher his "handwriting." Plus, that way, he wouldn't even need ink to dip his beak in.

Skade

Explorer
mythago said:
To clarify, it was the player who grumbled (repeatedly) about his situation and asked "Should I bother showing up next week?"

Sialla, of course, wanted to know what SPECIES of hummingbird he was.

Even more reason to give the guy something to do, that he will enjoy. Or try to at least, he may think you have singled him out for tortue, and he resents you for it. I have had a similar session, and very shortly after making comments very similar to those he left for about a year.

Mind you, I really did single him out for torture, but that is another matter entirely. :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Hmmm. At least he didn't look back at the last second.

This sort of thing has happened in my game occasionally. I'm a big fan of letting him play the hummingbird for a while, because wow - what a lot of fun potential. If the player isn't up to it, I'd go the NPC route, unless that excessively strains credibility.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
mythago said:
Did a little bird tell you about that part?

Not the hummingbird - and I somehow expect that anyone else might have been too droolingly catatonic to make much sense.

You're a bad, bad woman.

Last edited:

KidCthulhu

First Post
How about giving him an NPC of an expert ornithologist. Or better an amateur birdwatcher who just happens to have spotted this fascinating new hummingbird species. He/she ends up following the team around, trying to figure out what's going one.

Not only might it be fun to play the clutzy, inept ignoramus for a while, it will give the player renewed love for his experienced, street savy, armed to the teeth investigator. "I may have been a bird for a while, but at least I'm not a clueless mundane."

Or, if the player really doesn't want to flex, send 'im home and let the rest of the group have fun with the hummingbird. Better not to have a frump vibe at the table.

mythago

Hero
Kilmore said:
Oy... I just mixed up Lovecraft's "Lurking Fear" with Disney's "Pocahontas". I think I'll go gibber now.

Appointment with Dr. Shiny for YOU coming up.

Piratecat, I have to admit the highlight of that evening was the post-game, when Swack-Iron completely snapped and started whapping Sialla with a couch pillow, shrieking "WHY did you TURN AROUND?! WHAT were you THINKING?!"

Okay, maybe he did lose a little more SAN than we expected...

KidCthulhu

First Post
mythago said:
Piratecat, I have to admit the highlight of that evening was the post-game, when Swack-Iron completely snapped and started whapping Sialla with a couch pillow, shrieking "WHY did you TURN AROUND?! WHAT were you THINKING?!"

Only a pillow? You guys are getting soft.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads