• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Puzzles for beginers

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'm not a huge fan of traps myself as all too often they don't make much sense. However, in other cases, Bring on the Traps! In a tomb, fill the place with traps since the point of them is to keep people out. In a dungeon being run by some old necromancer with his undead minions, some traps might make sense as he has commanded his undead minions to avoid them. A trap that entangles the party before a group of shadows move in could be an effective trap in this case. In a cave system home of orcs, no or few traps since the orcs are running around inside (although they may have defences where they can strike at the PCs from range while the PCs scramble around to find out how to fight back).

Puzzles on the other hand, I quite like, as long as they fit in, things like intricate locks or magical rituals are pretty cool, the puzzles I like best are ones which lead to the party exploring. An example might be a dwarven lock which requires rune stones placed in a certain order with the rune stones stored in other locations in the ancient dwarf vault the PCs are exploring. I'd make it so that if the party has a dwarf in the party that they will know exactly what the lock is and how it works, though they will still need the keystones.

Flareanthia

First Post
Too true @Quickleaf . I have been trying to put some of this stuff to practice, and mentioning something THREE TIMES has definitely been catching my players' attentions more, thanks guy ;D

And woah those are some pretty awesome trap ideas!! :O Thanks dude! I have definitely been thinking more about WHY there would be a trap since this thread began, I've gotten loads of really useful advice from all the forum users! Thanks guys, I will definitely be posting more now I've seen how much use I can get out of it! :)

Last edited:

Remove ads