TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
dead said:
Dear Gary,

If you won a million, trillion, squillion dollars and purchasing back the rights to D&D was just a drop in the ocean, would you:

a) Not even bother buying back the rights for D&D. That's behind you now. You would use all your money to promote and publish LA.

b) Buy back the rights and personally author the 4th edition the way *you* think it should be.

c) Buy back the rights and act as a consultant/creative director but otherwise focus on LA.

d) Buy back the rights but leave it unchanged.

Also, what would you do with GH if you bought back the rights. Would you:

1) Dump it as a setting. It's seen its time.

2) Dump all material after you left and begin again from the '83 boxed set.

3) Acknowledge WotC/TSR's "canon" version and take it up from there.

I'm very interested to hear your comments.

Thank you.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is just the sort of useless speculation I never waste my time with. There isn't one chance in a million of anything like that happening, so why expend precious time and thought energy on the subject? That wont be hapening with me, as I have so many positive and actual creative things to work on :D

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mistere29 said:
Somwhere in the DMG is a chart that has age modifers for demi-humans. The gist of it is that magical aging assumes a human life span. If a race lives twice as long as humans, for example, then all aging effects are doubled.

Plus there is always the system shock roll.
Considering the lifespan gor humans subsumed in the game, even an adjusted loss of longevity for use of speed potion is minimal. As for use of system shock, I never employed that foe the consumption of potions. In a magical milieu, only a misbrewed potion would be likely to have ill effects on the one quaffing it;)

Cheers,
Gary

Semah G Noj

First Post
Hello Gary :)

My ex-girlfriend's son and I met you at Milwaukee Gamefest the last two years and you signed his dice box for him. (He insists that all dice contained within roll better.) He had a small plastic container filled with about 100 tiny D6's, which you grabbed and pretended to be about to roll on the table to see how many 6's would come up. It's his favorite story to tell other gamers. So if you've done nothing else in this world, you brought joy to a 13 year old on that day and ensured his continuing gaming for years to come, and for that he and I both thank you.

And then I realize I have no question. :p

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Col_Pladoh said:
Not only have I had a few pints of Newcastle, but I've enjoyed a variety of real ales locally brewed in the pubs of Old Blighty :lol:

Most of my group have to drive some distance home after a game session, so we don't get to enjoy much in the way of good brews when we play...and when I drink alone i prefer to be by myself ;)

Cheerio,
Gary

The last time in London, I went to the "Churchill Arms", they pulled a good pint, but the locals came for the Thai food :uhoh:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Col_Pladoh said:
I have had no input in regards to the WoG since 1985, so you will need to direct your comments and questions to wizards.
Speaking of which, your name is still on the PHB. Shouldn't you be getting royalties or something? :heh:

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Those aren't board wargames amigo. Real wargamers have played Drang Nacht Osten for a few weeks before giving up, or else know and play 20 Avalon Hill Company military game titles and have a collection of SPI games (never played usually).

Cheers,
Gary

Heh, I know! Like I said, I was 3 when the "Swords & Sorcery in Wargaming" essay was published :) I'm a young one, I guess, although when it comes to AD&D/D&D I still consider myself a grognard.

Gray Mouser

Zudrak

Explorer
Hola

Gary,

I am very glad to see you're doing well and still plugging away on the creative front. I look forward to purchasing the Castle Zagyg series as it is released. :D

My name is Michael and I had emailed back and forth with you a couple of years ago from AOL (Hint: Red 1/4 was my screen name there). Anyway, I wanted to say thanks for responding to the emails and really helping me out, minor though it may seem to be.

Of course, if you need anything edited, my offer is still open. ;) It looks like that won't be necessary though, because I have most of the Gygaxian series of books from Troll Lord and they are wonderful. I cannot wait to complete the set.

Sadly, I could not convince my players to try LA as they are set in their 3/3.5E D&D ways. :\ I did take a lot of your advice from prior writings though and removed myself from a gaming group where every get-together was a sparring session with a rules-lawyer. We still get together with her and her family, we just won't play RPG's there any more. :]

I continue to pray for your health and wellness. FWIW, I do hope someday D&D will come back to its founder -- through (mis)adventures just as positive as the 80's ones were negative -- so it can be set aright (in the opinions of some of us grognards!). I still game in 576 +/- CY WoG and enjoy the skeleton you gave us DM's in 1983 . I hope some pro-Gygax fan hits the lottery as mentioned earlier by dead in his post -- just to wrench D&D away from Hasbroken and put it in safe hands once again.

Okay, here's my question:
When Francois drafted his OA manuscripts, was it in his plans (or yours) to create a continent on Oerth where the "orient" would exist or was he seeking to create a new continent/setting to be created all on its own? I was wondering if Kara-Tur (which was set on Oerth originally, IIRC, because I set it east of Oerik across the Solnor Ocean from the North Province) was an idea created by you, Francois, or Zeb Cook.

Thanks again for creating a fantastic hobby.

Michael / Zudrak

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads