TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Anson Caralya said:
Gary, thanks for the clarifications (and the astonishing response time!).

Hmmm, somehow I never realized that there was a PC "Erac"; I thought "Erac's Cousin" was the only character with that name. My mistake :eek:.
Erac was a most able PC that had many exploits when adventuring. He met his end alone on a dungeon level of Greyhawk Castle, but his remains were recently recovered and so Erac is Back...if Ernie wver wants to play him again :heh:

Yet another casualty of that time... I'll honor your closing remark and pry no further on that subject. Cheers!
Yuppers, ask Skip why Shadowland never went forward alter we collected all manner of notes and created new monsters to inhabit the plane.

Cheers,
Gary

Joël of the FoS

First Post
Joël of the FoS said:
Great news. I got an email back from Aurélien, he said no problem to bring you a box. So I'll get in touch with him after the 22nd (when back from vacation) and I will bring him ze Québec beer :)

Joël

Good news!

I gave Aurélien the box today ;) So expect some good beer this weekend. Make sure to chill 'em and enjoy!

There are 7 beers in the box - 3 Boréales, 3 St-Ambroise, and another. So I'm now able to say I shared two six packs with Gary Gygax :)

Enjoy! And have a safe trip to Toronto.

Joël

Anson Caralya

First Post
Yuppers, ask Skip why Shadowland never went forward alter we collected all manner of notes and created new monsters to inhabit the plane.

Argh!!! Is my memory correct that it was geared towards very high level, similar to "Isle of the Ape"? Did any of your shadowy thoughts from that project make it into "City of Hawks" ('87)?

jwright

First Post
A new Wisconsin gamer

Gary,

First of all greetings - I am new to this board (just discovered it) and also to Wisconsin - I moved here last year to teach theatre in Manitowoc. I missed the Lake Geneva con because I heard about it too late and wouldn't have been able to go this year anyway because I'm still finishing a dissertation (aagh) but I will certainly be there next year.

I've been musing through these posts fascinated by the perspectives on the evolution of RPG, which has been such a fun part of my life. More than anything I'd like to express my appreciation for your continual reminder to all that this game really belongs to the individuals at any game table, and that the spirit of gaming isn't in any set of rules but in the imaginations of players and DM's in the worlds they encounter. I think all of us have our own individual tastes and preferences for many different types of campaigns and games and I think it's silly to get caught up in absolutism in arguing one brand of gaming vs. another.

I played AD&D when I was a teenager and because I was young and didn't really understand all the ins & outs of the system what I DM'd then was probably more my own version (with apologies) - more recently I have DM'd campaigns using 3E (yes heretical I know) but likewise I simply simplified and adapted it again to my own game and table (I admit to liking d20 for combat and skills - again, please infer no disrespect - just a personal comfort thing). One thing I have always found is whether the system is rules "heavy" or "light" it really is up to me as DM to make it work - and for four years I was lucky to have a steady, good group of players at Louisiana State U. in several campaigns. Of course, we were all theatre people so the game always skewed towards role playing over stats and crunching. I am a playwright and have always considered putting a campaign together similar to that - it has to be good drama, with a good hook, a good series of rising actions, and a satisfying climax.

That brings me to a couple of questions -

First a setting question - I have always loved Greyhawk and am under the impression that as originally conceived it was somewhat of an alternate Earth, like a reversed European continent attached to an Asian continent. Was this the case or was it meant to be a completely different world from the start? I am just now looking into LA and it seems the world setting here is also Earth-but-different, and I am wondering if the intentions are similar to the original envisionment of the WOG.

Secondly, Since moving here I haven't gamed really because the only gamers I have met are young students at my college, and I can't really interact with them on that casual a level, and even if I could they are pretty much into the straightforward hack-and-slash quick-advance power gaming that is problematic of d20 systems when you don't reel them in. I was wondering if I offered a nice bottle of wine if I might join one of your LA groups sometime - or if you happen to know someone else in the SE Wisconsin area who runs a good game.

Apologies for such a long post - I am both a professor and a writer so I can get long-winded :)

Nathan P. Mahney

First Post
Hey Gary,

We know about the first ever dungeon (and might I add that I am eagerly awaiting Castle Zagyg), but I was wondering if you could relate to us the tale of the first ever dragon (in D&D terms of course). It's in the name after all! (Don't worry, I won't ask you to regale us of your first ampersand, though feel free if the whimsy takes you.)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Joël of the FoS said:
Good news!

I gave Aurélien the box today ;) So expect some good beer this weekend. Make sure to chill 'em and enjoy!

There are 7 beers in the box - 3 Boréales, 3 St-Ambroise, and another. So I'm now able to say I shared two six packs with Gary Gygax :)

Enjoy! And have a safe trip to Toronto.

Joël
Great!

Actually, Aurélien emailed me to say he was bringing goodies from you, Joël :D

Wish you could be there in person to share them with me...If you can make the next Lake Geneva Gaming Convention, Jine next year, and possibly another in October, let me know, and we'll tip a few of the varities of New Glarus Brewing ales and beers :cool:

Ciao,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Anson Caralya said:
Argh!!! Is my memory correct that it was geared towards very high level, similar to "Isle of the Ape"? Did any of your shadowy thoughts from that project make it into "City of Hawks" ('87)?
The module was for high-level PCs, 12th and up IIRR.

As the work was collaborative, I have not used any of it elsewhere.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
jwright said:
Gary,

First of all greetings - I am new to this board (just discovered it) and also to Wisconsin - I moved here last year to teach theatre in Manitowoc. I missed the Lake Geneva con because I heard about it too late and wouldn't have been able to go this year anyway because I'm still finishing a dissertation (aagh) but I will certainly be there next year.[QUOTE
Howdy!

My oldest grandchild is a post grad and off at NYU this year on a full scholarship for theater. His brother just just entered Wheaton where he plans to get a degree in education.

The next LGGC will be in early June, and I do hope you can make it.

That brings me to a couple of questions -

First a setting question - I have always loved Greyhawk and am under the impression that as originally conceived it was somewhat of an alternate Earth, like a reversed European continent attached to an Asian continent. Was this the case or was it meant to be a completely different world from the start? I am just now looking into LA and it seems the world setting here is also Earth-but-different, and I am wondering if the intentions are similar to the original envisionment of the WOG.
While I did mix cultures of earth-like sort, I did not plan Oerth as an actual alternate earth as did for the "Aerth" of the Mythus FRPG or Learth of the LA game.

We can likely fit in one more player for the LA and Metamorphosis Alpha game sessions here on Thursday evenings from c. 6:30 until 10. Just email me, and I'll confirm the next game...we miss a few sessions, such as tomorrow when I am off traveling to the Canadian National Gaming Expo in Toronto.

ggygax@genevaonline.com

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Nathan P. Mahney said:
Hey Gary,

We know about the first ever dungeon (and might I add that I am eagerly awaiting Castle Zagyg), but I was wondering if you could relate to us the tale of the first ever dragon (in D&D terms of course). It's in the name after all! (Don't worry, I won't ask you to regale us of your first ampersand, though feel free if the whimsy takes you.)
It was an unnamed red dragon converted from a plastic stegasaurus. It appeared on the top of my sand table at 330 Center St. here in the first CHAINMAIL Fantasy Supplement game c. 1970.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads