TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Col_Pladoh said:
The envisaged effect for a magic missile when impacting a non-living (other than undead), energiless target was a fuzzle. Sort of llike a spark that sizzles a bit and does out leaving only a bit of scorched surface behing to mark its passing.

I got the idea of the spell from the film The Raven with Boris Karloff, vincent Price, and Peter Laurie. So too the shield spell.

Cheers,
Gary

Once read a write-up from a group where the DM envisioned Magic Missile as producing some form of fire arm, the exact type depending on how many missiles the magic user in question produced with each casting. It started with a single shot pistol and worked its way up to some type of automatic rifle at the higher levels. This in the day when MM had no upper limit to the number of rounds, required a to-hit roll for each shot, and successful hits did 1d6+1 in damage.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Edena_of_Neith said:
Hey, thank you Gary. I haven't seen the Raven, but I'll check it out. :)

Is it ok if I ask you concerning some of the other spells you invented?
Sure, and fire away:)

No guarantee I'll remember what, if any, inspiration lies behind any given spell though.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mythusmage said:
Once read a write-up from a group where the DM envisioned Magic Missile as producing some form of fire arm, the exact type depending on how many missiles the magic user in question produced with each casting. It started with a single shot pistol and worked its way up to some type of automatic rifle at the higher levels. This in the day when MM had no upper limit to the number of rounds, required a to-hit roll for each shot, and successful hits did 1d6+1 in damage.
We all know that there is one magic missile per two levels above 1st, no limit to the total number, and that they always hit.

The missiles spring from the caster's finger and dart unerringly to strike the target subjetc(s) regardless of any evasive attempts on the part of said target(s).

Cheers,
Gary

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Col_Pladoh said:
We all know that there is one magic missile per two levels above 1st, no limit to the total number, and that they always hit.

The missiles spring from the caster's finger and dart unerringly to strike the target subjetc(s) regardless of any evasive attempts on the part of said target(s).

Cheers,
Gary

Now that's the case. Back in the early days ...

diaglo

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
No, you go and read the OAD&D DMG :p
rolls to hit

2-7 hps of damage.

2 missiles (which appeared as arrows according to the text) for every 5 levels.

1 at 1st, 3 at 6th, 5 at 11th, etc...

just saying is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads