TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
Is that because of genre considerations? That is, AD&D is pseudo-medieval fantasy where such abilities are inappropriate? Or were the rules themselves simply problematic from a mechanical point of view?
Would you believe both?

In the LA game I solved both problems, for in it the form of Extraordinary Ability is not in conflict with the milieu, and the rules are simple, within the framework of the game mechanics and those that operate the other magical skills.

Cheers,
Gary

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
(solemnly)

When I was first starting in the game, everyone around me was doing over the top things, and I was the conservative kid arguing for moderation. I kid you not.
Now, 30 years later, everyone around me my age argues for moderation, and I'm the one gunning for the over the top conceptions.

I suppose the long War Against the Wizard, which I had the misfortune to have to watch, caused me to take a more extreme position, irritated me into revolt and rebellion, and otherwise cemented my position as an advocate for high powered wizards.

In a sea of Nerfing, there needs to be at least one lone voice out there, arguing the case for power and extremity, a bit of the uproarious times of long past in his voice.

That would be me, I guess. (sighs)

-

Incidentally, that was how wizards in my game obtained spells: through scrolls and books found through adventuring, and through proving themselves to a mentor or college (through adventuring) or as a reward from a ruler (for adventuring.)
Of course, if a PC wizard and another PC wizard wanted to swap spells, that was fine with me. The usual rules for learning spells, maximum spells knowable per level, and the time and money required to inscribe spells were all in force, of course (not to mention the limited capacity of spellbooks.) And - to quote yourself - superior players cooperated, and their PCs did swap spells, and this was a prime way of obtaining those priceless spells.

You can create magic items in my game. The 3rd edition rules allow for it.
However, I use the item destruction rules from 1st and 2nd edition. So when that Fireball comes, and you fail your save, all those magic items must save too. If even one fails, it bursts into magical flame, and all your magical items must save again.
Those low level magic items are probably not going to be a match for a Fireball (magic items made by powerful NPCs that you found in the wilderness adventuring will be Fireball resistant.)
You have probably lost all those minor magical items you made, from that Fireball. You failed your save. A pity. I the DM shall cry hearty crocodile tears for you.

-

For the aspiring archmage ...
Consider the Shapechange spell as I described it. No archmage (or anyone else) who has this spell will share it, with a stranger, for any price. Why share the secret of such awesome power? Ditto for those other spells I described.
So, if the aspiring wizard wants these spells, all she need do is to take them by force from the archmages in question. That shouldn't be too difficult to do ... no biggie at all ... (chuckles)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
It is enjoyable to recall old gaming memories :D

Sometimes I wonder if I will ever be able to match, let along top, some of the adventures I provided for my players... When I find the campaign is stale for whatever reason, then I will certainly retire from the GM role.

Cheers,
Gary

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
Hi Mr G,

I have a question for you: would you like to come to the ENnie Awards in person this year whilst at Gen Con Indy? Friday, August 17th, cocktails start at 9, the Awards proper start at 9:30. I'm sure there's more than a few people who would love to buy you a drink, or share a table...

If you're available and/or interested, please email me
denise@ennieawards.com

Aeolius

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
All that said, do you find that some "classic" critters to be generally ignored?

I suppose each player and DM harbors their own beliefs as to what a "classic" critter might be. For me, hags are the penultimate critter. Another suitable response might be flumphs, which have been vastly overlooked in 3e, or the dragon turtle, which has been denied "true" dragon status time and time again.

(edit: Gary, if you ever get the deranged desire to play an ixitxachitl PC, just let me know) ;) )

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Dextra said:
Hi Mr G,

I have a question for you: would you like to come to the ENnie Awards in person this year whilst at Gen Con Indy? Friday, August 17th, cocktails start at 9, the Awards proper start at 9:30. I'm sure there's more than a few people who would love to buy you a drink, or share a table...

If you're available and/or interested, please email me
denise@ennieawards.com
The thought is much appreciated :)

Fact is that by 9 PM I will be kicking back in my room and thinking about hitting the rack...the meds I must take sort of knock me out...

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Aeolius said:
I suppose each player and DM harbors their own beliefs as to what a "classic" critter might be. For me, hags are the penultimate critter. Another suitable response might be flumphs, which have been vastly overlooked in 3e, or the dragon turtle, which has been denied "true" dragon status time and time again.

(edit: Gary, if you ever get the deranged desire to play an ixitxachitl PC, just let me know) ;) )
A flumph??? :confused:

As for playing an ixitxachitl PC, that would be Steve Marsh ;)

:lol:
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads