• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JamesM said:
Gary,

I honestly can't recall if you had any plans for a revision of AD&D or a new edition of it. I have the dim recollection that what became Unearthed Arcana was in fact but what one part -- and a modified one at that -- of what was originally a much larger "expansion" of AD&D. Am I remembering this correctly or were you generally happy with AD&D and saw no need for anything more than a new book here or there every so many years?

Thanks.
In truth, I had begun planning for a revised edition of the AD&D game beginning around 1983. I made notes for what I planned, and those remained with TSR when I left the company at the end of 1985.

The UA compilation contained the initial pass at some to the revisions and expansions I envisioned for the game, but I had not had time to sit down and concentrate on exactly how I would complete a revision and what it would entail.

No matter, as that is now all water under the bridge for more than two decades now, eh?

Cheerio,
Gary

JamesM

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
No matter, as that is now all water under the bridge for more than two decades now, eh?
Certainly, although I can't help but feel a slight pang of loss considering the subsequent history of the game and its various editions. As I get older, I find the feel and content of AD&D suits me very well and I think of what might have been had your revision come to pass.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JamesM said:
Certainly, although I can't help but feel a slight pang of loss considering the subsequent history of the game and its various editions. As I get older, I find the feel and content of AD&D suits me very well and I think of what might have been had your revision come to pass.
To suggest another old saw...spilled milk.

As with the World of Greyhawk, there is nothing that anyone can do about the matter ;)

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Raven Crowking said:
Gary,

Do you watch Doctor Who? If so, have you seen the new series? If so, do you like it? Why or why not?

RC
I do occasionally watch Dr.Who. The new series is quite good IMO, as the budget must be larger and the effects are a good deal better than in past shows :D

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Holy Bovine said:
If Gary Gygax falls in lava the lava doesn't get a saving throw.

Everyone else just dies.
:confused:

This brings to mind the use of certain potent magical devices that would indeed pretty much negate the effects of lava or magma--anything having to do with compatibility with Elemental Fire.

Having been divorced from my first wife, I no longer need such magical protection :p

Cheerio,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads