[Q] Can I cast Polymorph Other on myself to gain a permanent duration?

Tome

Explorer
Polymorph other is a permanent duration spell while polymorphself only lasts a few rounds per level. My mage wants to persue the Arcane Archer Prestige class, but he is a human. If he is transformed by the Polymorph other spell into an elf, would he then qualify to gain the Arcane Archer Prestige class?

This is actually two questions.

Thanks,

TOME

hong

WotC's bitch
There's nothing in the poly other spell description or stat block that prohibits casting it on yourself. So going strictly by the book, you could do it. I certainly wouldn't allow it, though. Ignoring for the moment that I've banned it from my campaign ;), the whole point of the spell is that it polymorphs _other people_. If you want to polymorph yourself, cast poly self.

As for gaining the arcane archer PrC, the answer is no, polymorph won't help you. You retain your own type, which (if you're human) is Humanoid (human), not Humanoid (elf).

Tome

Explorer
Bummer.

Well, so much for that idea. I guess my only recourse would then be to cast a wish spell or a miracle to turn me into an elf or half elf in order to qualify for the prestige class unless anyone has any better ideas.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

Not to mention that you would have the average stats of an elf which would probably be worse than your current stats. Your physical stats would look as follows:
S: 10 D: 12 C: 8

I don't mind you polymorphing yourself into an elf indefinitely because you certainly would most likely be weaker than you were permanently.

An elf is a medium-sized humanoid as is a human, so you don't need to change type to become an elf.

rhammer2

First Post
Yes, you can use Polymorph Other for a permanent duration.
No, it would not qualify you for the Arcane Archer class.

Talk to your DM, together you could come up with a non-elf class that is similar.

Tome said:
Polymorph other is a permanent duration spell while polymorphself only lasts a few rounds per level. My mage wants to persue the Arcane Archer Prestige class, but he is a human. If he is transformed by the Polymorph other spell into an elf, would he then qualify to gain the Arcane Archer Prestige class?

This is actually two questions.

Thanks,

TOME

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Re: Bummer.

Tome said:
Well, so much for that idea. I guess my only recourse would then be to cast a wish spell or a miracle to turn me into an elf or half elf in order to qualify for the prestige class unless anyone has any better ideas.
I would think it is easier to change the prestige class than the character. Talk to your DM and see if you can work something out. There should be some other sacrafice you can make to convince an elf to teach you what you need to know (or maybe you could spend a lot of time and money creating a non-racist version of the PrC),

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

You are incorrect Hong. For game rule purposes, the rules do not distinguish between types of Humanoid. The technical reason that type does not change is to prevent people from gaining type specific abilities such as immunity to crits and certain energy attacks.

If you polymorph, you are an elf. You would gain low-light vision and any other abilities associated with the elven physical type.

From a roleplay perspective, a DM would probably rule that you would be unable to obtain the Arcane Archer prestige class without finding an elf who could teach you and bluffing him into believing that you are an elf. A difficult prospect, but not impossible.

A person who polymorphed into an elf would be an average elf. Just as it states an undead or outsider with the ability to polymorph can change into another type of outsider or undead. This is listed in the rules. So a humanoid type can change into another type of humanoid without any difficulty. The only problem is that is a humanoid with standard stats.

What am I missing here Hong? Show me oh wise (smart ass is more like it) one.

Tome,

If you really wanted to be an arcane archer that was originally a human who was polymorphed into an elf, that would be one hell of a cool roleplay scenario. It would probably take a long time to accomplish and a lenient DM who sees such a scenario as a great opportunity to build a cool story.

At least, I think it would be one hell of a story.

Last edited:

Remove ads