• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Q re: handgrenades

JDragon

Explorer
I wouldn't say that the area of effect is larger than the range. The system is just designed to show how unaccurate a throw can be at distance.

Remeber you can throw weapons 5 range increments. So a granade can go 50' ft max, it just isn't as likly to go exactly where you want it, but you should get close enough to do some damage.

JDragon

snak

First Post
My concern was that unless you were suicidal or throwing around a corner the grenade couldn't be thrown without a minimum -2 penalty unless you had the far shot feat.

Of course there isn't the thrown weapon prof required so no -4 penalty.

I've made peace with this rule/range increment thingy by thinking about real life. Irl I can throw a baseball with decent accuracy to at least 30'. Now I imagine doing the same under duress (read suppressive fire) and I imagine I would want that hot potato out and away in the quickest time imaginable, limiting my exposure to incoming lead, particle beams, dragons breath etc...

Seriously though ten' isn't a throw, more a toss.

takyris

First Post
It's not just getting it to go there -- it's getting it to go there and stop where you want it to stop. I was at a hockey game a few weeks ago where, during intermission, people threw rubber hockey pucks onto the ice, attempting to get their puck close to a magic dot and win a shirt or something. You could tell who'd done it at a lot of games and who hadn't...

Also, and this is just an irate side note, what's the deal with people who are deathly afraid of having a penalty in anything? It's a -2. It just means your grenade is going to be a bit off to one side. Statistically speaking, the difference between no modifier and a +2 is exactly the same as the difference between no modifier and a -2. And yet, people will scream bloody murder in order to get that -2 off of their character sheet.

It's as though there's a deep-seated urge in people for the d20 Skill System to be "You start lousy, but the modifiers always go up", rather than "You start average, but the modifiers go up as well as down."

-Tacky

snak

First Post
I don't know about being deathly afraid of negative modifiers.

I don't know about throwing rubber hockey pucks on ice.

I just think a 20' blast radius with a 10' range increment is a bit off.

It doesn't matter much considering grenades aren't finesse weapons.

takyris

First Post
But Snakwell, the thing is, a 10' range increment doesn't mean that you can't throw it farther than that. For grenades, it's ASSUMED that you're gonna throw them at least thirty or forty feet. The range increment is just in there to make things interesting. After all, when was the last movie you saw where a grenade landed directly at the feet of the bad guys? It always lands five or ten feet away. Now, admittedly, in the movies, this is so the guy who controls the fake explosions can rig some stuff up behind a pile of tires or something, but cinematically, it makes sense.

Just think of it like the A-Team. Grenade lands near the bad guys, bad guys go "Ahhhh!" and run away, and then they get blown up, fly through the air, land in a pile of cardboard boxes, groan, and fall unconscious but suffer no lasting damage. Because no one ever dies on the A-Team.

-Tacky

Remove ads