• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Q re: handgrenades

LightPhoenix

First Post
Pagan priest said:
Remember: Close DOES count with hand grenades! (And horseshoes):D

Where is that quote from? I've heard it before on a football game, of all places. It was, "It's like horseshoes and hand grenades... if it's close, it counts."

Baumi

Adventurer
How can you simulate the clearing out of a room. Kick in door, throw the grenages and walk behind a wall .... how is this possible with D20 Modern?

takyris

First Post
Round 1: You kick in the door. Bad guys are presumably surprised and don't get an action.

Round 2: You throw the grenade and run your sorry little butt behind a wall.

If you want to house-rule it, you could always say that a grenade thrown at the beginning of your turn goes off at the end of your turn, just so you have time to do other things.

In the game, it's not as much fun to have that round of potential worrisome bad-guy time, but that would happen in real life, too -- the guy who kicked down the door would be regaining his balance for a second before throwing the grenade. So, both in real life and in the game, the ideal solution would be:

Strong Hero breaks down the door and then takes a five-foot reposition to get behind the wall.

Charismatic Hero calls out, "Hey, you guys is da BOMB!", tosses the grenade into the room, and moves over next to the Strong Hero.

Round 2: Bad guys are blown up. Strong Hero looks over at Charismatic Hero, sighs, and says, "You always have to use the same line?"

-Tacky

Pagan priest

First Post
In real life, a fragmentation grenade is called a defensive weapon, because you would only use them while you are in hard cover. The schrapnel will fly over 120 feet (I have no idea where I learned that!), which is farther that the typical GI can throw. Offensive grenades are a cardboard tube pack with high explosive, to minimize the danger to troops advancing without suitable cover.

As for the quote, I've heard it from many people over the years, usually after someone has commented about something being close but not exactly right. More of a smart ass way of saying close is not good enough. Often, somebody will apend the line "And nuclear weapons!"

snak

First Post
Okay. I just say the show mail call on the history channel. You know the one where R. Lee Ermey, former marine and actor famous for his drill sergent roles takes questions of a military nature.

Some one wrote in asking about how hand grenades work. He went to Fort Benning Georgia and talked with an instructor. According to him the modern US military fragmentation grenade, M68 has a 15 meter kill radius and 35 meter wound radius.

Now that's a hot potato!

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Another reason hand grenades have a low range increment is they're slightly heavy, they're unbalanced, and they're non-aerodynamic. They wobble in the air when you throw them, like a badly passed football, and that's for guys who are good at throwing grenades.

Of course you throw it farther than 10 feet. You just don't do it accurately unless you're really good at it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads