• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Q'Barra: Facing Truth Chapter 2

Pebele

First Post
The text on the sealed document is written in a runic script. Catherine, Sepoto and Trebuchet are able to recognize it as being Draconic.

The translation of the letter reads:

My esteemed Master,

Our mission is progressing well. The pitiful farmers are completely under our thumb, though they are useless in our quest to eliminate the intruders upon the Holy Site. We believe that there is a group among them who will take up the task soon enough.

However, there are new arrivals in the settlement. Young ones, by the look of it. I can only assume that they are the ones you spoke of. If they connect us to the farmer's plight, we will be honored to destroy them. They will not spoil your plans, not while we are still of this world.

I only hope that soon we will have proven our loyalty and worth to you, and be allowed to serve at your side.

Faithfully,
Seamus

Yeoman

First Post
"So that's the gist of it. I'm not sure what we are looking at here. Obviously some kind of missive to their employer or leader, but no corresponding letter on them? This was in Draconic, while the rest were in some other script. Curious. I guess we are the "young ones" he mentions. He was right though, as long as they were of this world, we wouldn't interfere. I guess we put a stop to that, eh?"

Catherine looks around the base camp. "Did anyone locate where they came from? Even druids would likely have a camp or shelter somewhere nearby, right?"

Rolzup

First Post
"What bothers me," Darrick says slowly, "Is that someone told them that we were coming. Who was it? One of the townsfolk, or...someone from the Academy? I'd rather not consider the latter, but it seems likely. I don't like this at all."

BRP2

First Post
Hmmm, if I'm correct, don't lizard-folk communicate in Draconic? Personally, I don't know what they are saying as I split their head open. Hmmm... I know I may be jumping ahead a bit here... but the Poisondusk tribe doesn't always get along with the others from what I be hearing. Or you know... it could be just a dragon. Charles sighs at the possibility.

Yeoman

First Post
Charles said:
Hmmm, if I'm correct, don't lizard-folk communicate in Draconic? Personally, I don't know what they are saying as I split their head open. Hmmm... I know I may be jumping ahead a bit here... but the Poisondusk tribe doesn't always get along with the others from what I be hearing. Or you know... it could be just a dragon. Charles sighs at the possibility.

"Lovely. A dragon, rival lizards, a spy in town, or even better, a traitor at the academy. That's quite a list we've got so far. The first three I can deal with, but I'll be damned if I can understand why someone at the academy would betray us and an innocent town."

Catherine shakes her head and sits down with her back against a nearby tree. "I guess that's why he said why it was an unofficial mission, huh?"

Shayuri

First Post
Trebuchet leans his head slightly to one side and points out, "I don't think those are the only possibilities suggested by the letter, or even the most likely. It's possible the druids have ways of getting information that have nothing to do with informants. Animal spies, or spells, for example. More information will be needed before we can reach a solid conclusion."

Pebele

First Post
Kaelan is unable to identify either of the potions.

Which means that the group has identified the eighteen blue potions as Cure Light Wounds, thanks to Trebuchet. The four yellow potions remain unidentified. The group will have to have them examined at the Academy.

It is early afternoon as the group sits around talking about their next plan. The day is pleasantly cool, and the sky is clear. There is still a distinct lack of animal sounds, but that is to be expected. Even if the druids are gone, the damage they did may stay with this area for quite some time.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Kaelan walks away from Catherine without a word at the conclusion of their previous conversation. "I'll have to agree with Trebuchet here, the possibility of informants is not gone, but they do probably have ways to surveying people with animals or magic. We all remember that eagle that seemed to follow us around for a couple days right? At this point is may be best to return to Havenwood and let them know what happened. I assume the "intruders on the holy site" are the tribe of lizardfolk we were "sent" to eliminate."

Rookseye

Explorer
After examining the edges of the small clearing, Sepoto walks back to his debating companions, unselfconsciously swatting away the cloud of biting flies that have followed him back from the jungle's edge.

"The Children, they came from the east it seems..."

Squatting down on his haunches near Kaelan, and having overheard the last snippets of conversation as he approached, he reads the Draconic missive himself, brow furrowing as he tries to make sense of what it contains.

"Sepoto is agreeing with Trechbucket and Kaelan. The angry Children likely have many beast-spies and town-spies. If I am understanding though, this word-paper speaks of a group among the village-folk that the Children believe are able to kill the lizard-folk at the Children's holy place. Sepoto does not remember seeing such village-folk. There seemed to be few warriors among them."

[SBLOCK] Pebele, for what it is worth, Sepoto will try to determine if the Draconic on the missive matches that of any of the lizard folk tribes in Q'Barra, since that is how he is familiar with the language in the first place. Feel free to roll for him as well, as I'm not sure what ability/skill mechanic this would entail.[/SBLOCK]

Pebele

First Post
Sepoto studies the letter, but since the Draconic is written as opposed to spoken, he is unable to discern if there was any clues as to the specific dialect.

[sblock=For Rookseye]I realize that there are differing dialects in languages, but I do not think that it is possible to discern them from a letter. The only possible thing I could think of in order for Sepoto to check was Decipher Script, but that is a trained only skill.[/sblock]

Remove ads